Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HP D60 ??

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 87GMCJimmy, Oct 30, 2003.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Stephen, I would have posted this in the general 4x4 but I know your running one of these on your rig add would like your input as well as everybody else's. I already picked up a GM 203 to connect with my 4l60e and a ford 205. Now I'm looking for a HP60 for the front of my truck and had a couple questions.

This doubler combination isn't listed on your website but it's on your build-up page of your truck. Is it still possible to build this combo and is it in the same price range as the others? How much floor board modification do you need to do to have it rotated flat? I don't have a body lift and don't really want one but then again I'm not sure on how much I want to bash in the floorboards. Maybe rotate it flat and let it hang down a little?? dunno.

Most people are using the Ford 78-79 HP60 King pin axle? I haven't found much info on what years had what axles. I know some of the newer truck have ball joint hp d60. Any comments on using these axles versus something like you built. I'll haven't check prices on the TeraFlex housing but most used HP60s go for at least 1k. Your running chevy outers on a Tera60r housing. Is it possible to use GM outers and a ford housing or you need the custom housing? Any and all input into going down this road will be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know the different widths on the different hp60s.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. tonto

tonto Registered Member

You would want to find a 78-79 year ford front,spring perches are the same(32"). You can swap on chevy outers. It has to be from the knuckles out. The chevy outers have a longer stub shaft lenght, makes it easier to go to 35-spline stubs.Hopefully this helps.I beleive all the axles are the same width, only difference is spring perches, all other years are 36" spring perches.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Pretty much what he said, to bolt to leaves, you need the elusive 78-79 ford D60 front. Later versions are too wide in the perches and in fact usually have tire clearance problems on turning. Buying the tera center gives you a lot of leeway on what to build but costs a lot. We basically stripped a GM D60 to create mine so not only did we have the cost of the Tera center and the tubes but the cost of the GM donor housing. Ouch. Now you can buy all the parts separate but it still may be cheaper to find the GM housing to start with. I'd look for the ford axle.

We do build the flat version still, it's not a big deal, in fact we have one to ship out tomorrow.
    You do need to be somewhat dedicated to this configuration since it takes some fairly extensive floorboard mods. We basically cut a big hole and built new vertical walls for it and put on removable lids so it's somewhat easy to access the cases from above. Factory seat mounts would be a problem, mine are mounted to the cage. This isn't a hammer type mod, it's a sawsall/fab work deal.
    I don't have any good pics loaded up anywhere but the cutout is about 2 feet wide and somewhere around 18" deep by roughly 4" tall. There's plenty of clearance around everything with this size cutout but at that point, there was no reason to try to make it fit tight, it was no harder to build the new floor big than it would be to build it smaller.

A somewhat trouble free way to go would be to leave the 203 in the stock rotation and just turn the ford 205 up to match the bottom of the 203, this leaves your lowest point about 8.5" below the drivetrain centerline as opposed to the flat rotated setup putting your low point about 5.5-6" below the CL. In some cases, that 2-3" can be the difference, but it can be hard to make it happen.

You also have to watch your lift height and suspension travel, my K5 was built around a 15" ride height (measured from the top of the front axle tube to the bottom of the frame rail) and had 8" of droop travel from the shock and I had to pay attention to every detail to make the driveshaft work, link geometry, driveshaft grinding, etc. Now I've lowered the truck a bit so it's not such a big deal but it's an issue you need to look at.

I'm not trying to talk you out of this but you seem to want to go into this project knowing what you're doing so there you go!

4. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the great reply's.

Doubler - Sounds like rotating it up even with the 203 would be the way I would want to go but I now know what it would take to rotate it flat. I do know someone with a sheet metal shop.....

Axle - I did some searching around and it looks like you can find a ford hp60 for around 1k. Rock crusher now sells a HP60 center section for $695 or $893 with tubes installed. Assuming I swap out everything else on the ford axle with chevy parts, re-gear and add some type of locker, etc. this would be very close to the same starting point for the housing. All I would need are new C's and have the bling housing for around the same price.

I guess my plan for now is going to be collecting the chevy outer parts and looking for that elusive great deal on the ford axle. When I'm ready to do the swap and I haven't found a ford axle then I'll probably go with the rock crusher center for around the same price. If you see any major flaws in my thinking, please let me know. Otherwise thanks for the info!

Mike

P.S. I'll probably be calling around x-mas for the doubler kit

5. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

What would be wrong with using a complete ford verison 60? Is the lug pattern the same as a corp 14? I am looking to do the same with a rotated flat 203/ford205 combo.

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The lug pattern is the same but the outer knuckles are not as strong as the GM versions and it's harder to swap to 35 spline stubs. You basically have to take a gm stub and cut it down and put in a new snap ring groove. You can swap to GM stuff form the knuckles out but now Superior is coming out with a 35 spline ford stub... But it would still be nice to run the stronger GM knuckles.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Couldn't you just use knuckles out from a chevy king pin D60 on the ford HP60?

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah that was the point of my post... Guess I should have been more clear. But yeah you can swap everything from the knuckle out off of a chevy and use gm stubs and it will work fine.