Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HP diff between Banks turbo and GM?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 86dieselburb, Jun 23, 2006.

1. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

Was reading another thread an I gots to wonderin. Anybody got any figures on HP difference between a Banks turbo as opposed to a GM turbo?

I got in a bidding war on ebay over a 8 month used Banks kits, and lost. So I ended up bidding, won this time, on a GM-8 turbo, 4911 injection pump and a 6.5 turbo intake manifold. Just wondering if there's a major difference between the turbo set ups. I'm most likely gonna lower the compression to 18:1 and get an adjustable waste gate for the turbo. That should help make some good HP numbers.

2. linksvu

linksvu Registered Member

I do not know for sure, but I would say there is very little difference. I doubt you would notice the difference anyhow on the 6.2 as it is still pretty light-duty.....the exhaust is where I have felt the most difference which is why the Banks comes with an exhaust kit...

Just do a 3" - 3.5" all the way (no need for a dual) and stick with what you have. Keep the EGT's down!

3. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

I think Borg-Warner makes the GM turbos.

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The maximum boost will be pretty close between a 6.2 Banks turbo and an early GM turbo (1-3)(ie about 92-93). I think the GM 8 turbo will edge the banks. We are still only talking about 10-15 PSI boost. The main difference is that the GM turbo is wastegated, meaning it can be controlled to boost at much lower RPMs. Marginally better for off road applications.

5. azblazor

Also fitment is an issue with AC. The factory exhaust/turbo setup positions the turbo in a way that interfers with the AC evaporator box on the firewall for straight axle chevy trucks. A common fix is to adapt an S-10 AC evaporator box.

6. linksvu

linksvu Registered Member

How is that handled in the Banks kit? I have the banks, and the stock a/c and there is no issue I can find. In fact, they are apart from each other I see no concern....:dunno:

7. azblazor

It isn't an issue with the banks. The banks puts the turbo more forward than the factory turbo does. The GM factory turbo was never designed for the trucks with an AC evaporator in the engine compartment.

8. 86dieselburb

Thanks for the tip on the S-10 a/c box. Never heard that before. My plan was just to go aftermarket A/C, like Vintage Air. The S-10 box would help on the pocket book.

9. 86dieselburb

Wanted to ask. How much fabrication is needed to get the S-10 box to fit?

10. azblazor

I have not done it. I have seen pictures. I have also seen pictures of a stock AC evap box that was "modified" to fit the factory turbo. I have taken both full size and s-10 ac evaporator boxes off before. I just can't remember the details of the duct arrangement or if the blower motor from the S10 would need to be used or not. There are probably guys on "thedieselpage" who have actually done it.