Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hp/Lite-on double layer DVD burner with scriber?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 22, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Is this thing worth the money? I think it would be really handy to beable to label it like that too.
    Did they just include "Lite-On" in the title so more people would see it...since it says HP everywhere on the box and the actual drive. Or...?

It looks good, double (dual?) layer and DVD-/+rw :laugh:

Anyone?

clicky-ebay

EDIT:
    The only thing bad is 40.00 shipping :eek1:

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not a great deal IMO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131264 this drive burns Dual Layer media almost 3 times as fast(8x vs 2.4x) and is about half the price. Bet shipping won't be as much either.

I have the previous model to the one I just linked(the DW-D26A) it works great. Makes a few coasters now and again but if I just apply more resources to the rip and burn software it does very well. AS far as I can see the only difference between mine and that D30A is that the 30A burns Dual Layer discs at 8X where as mine is 4X. Dual layer media isn't cheap though and good programs can squish a dual layer video to single layer size and keep the quality up there.

Your Printer has to be able to label the disc and if it is capable of that it likely came with the software to do so, so the software with the drive is pointless.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have one, but have never used it. It came with the computer. The discs are $$$$.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So I need special discs for it? How much were they each?

Alan, the DVD burner labels has nothing to do with a printer. The drive actually etches the DVD, so no sticky lables or anything.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

We just got a batch of these, I think it's the same drive. I burned a couple gb pretty quick, so I dig it. I haven't played with the lightscribe yet, so no idea how it works. DVD blanks are getting cheaper, but lightscribe compatible are probably going to stay expensive...

If I didnt just give it to my brother, I'd offer you my old one. :doah: :(

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ah gotcha, yeah no idea on that. I'm sure the disc has to be slightly thicker or something. Heck you can practically see through CDs.

I think you can probably buy a normal drive and a printer that will print labels for what that is going to cost you :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  7. cbbr

The discs have to be "lightscribe compatable". They really don't look any different, they just have a coating on the top that te burner burns off to make the 'label'. Regular dvd's are much cheaper. I have a marker and if I need to get real fancy (haven't felt the urge yet) I will get some labels and use my printer.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I have an older yamaha drive with disc T@2 (tatoo). Same thing I think. It's neat. Mine will only etch on the non written portion of the disc.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How do I know if the printer will print labels? I just dont want the labels peeling off and wrecking a DVD or CD player...

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It's probably the label paper and quality that's of concern more than the printer.
    How important is labelling to you? I find a sharpie can make very readable labels... :wink1:
    The only reason we got the lightscribe's at work (I think) is to impress clients with snazzy CD's. Otherwise, I've always found nice labelling to be kind of a pointless effort (just my personal opinion, though).

11. cbbr

They make special labels - look at an office supply store. I agree with Ratch though, unless its something special (client stuff for instance) get a marker. :D

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I guess I just thought it would be snazzy to have neat labels like that. Oh well. :laugh:

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Don't use the stick on labels. It will just give you problems later. IMO

14. cbbr

They look cool, no doubt about it. I just can't justify spending the extra $$.

15. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I had a guy at work bring in a disc he labelled with Lightscribe, and it was awesome with the resolution he had it set at. On the downside, it took over two hours to write the disc and label it.

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Are there any more options besides lightscribe and stick on labels then??