Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HP, NEED MORE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Weekend Warrior, Apr 10, 2000.

1. Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior Registered Member

I've got a '87 K5 and need more power, I pull trailers and like to play in the sand. Right now the motor, exhaust, and intake are all stock. What are the most economical ways to get gains? What should I do first?

2. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Are you willing to lift the engine out from the car, or are you interested in "bolt-on" applications? If you want "real" hp, then you´d want a better cam, maybe up the compression a notch (with new pistons), better intake manifold, port the heads to match the new intake, headers etc. etc. etc. If you don´t wanna tear the engine apart, then it´s the usual stuff i.e K&N airfilter, headers and some other stuff I can´t remember right now [​IMG]. I took the easy way out and got me a 406 cui instead, and actually saved a few bucks compared to rebuilding the 350 completly. Have fun!

Andreas

I got 44" ....tires[​IMG]

3. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

an ignition system will not only give a noticable inrease in power but give better gas milage too. i think its the best for the buck

4. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Erik, I'd like to hear more about your ignition system proposal - if you get the time. Thanks.

5. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

another thing i did was modify my intake to a ram air just cut the factory housing and put a piece of screen there

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

First of all proper Gearing to the tires you are running. I'm assuming you have over stock tires and haven't replaced the ring and pinion gears.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

7. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Can you elaborate on that? What/where did you cut?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

8. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

theres a piece of plastic in between the radiator and the overflow bottle that the air intake plugs into, you need to take off that and cut it so that it will still mount to that spot but now is open in the front. then just sandwich a piece of screen in there to keep the big stuff out

9. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

ahhh, I get it. I was thinking of that too, but was worried about how much would make it up that tube. Then I was thinking of making a solid tube and relocating the intake to the body panel (quasi-cold air intake) like those kits you see. I might just seal the existing intake (cut it off the housing), and cut some holes on the back of the filter housing. All this thinking is giving me a headache...

Do you see a lot of crude making it's way up that tube?

Has anyone seen a dual intake filter housing making use of those holes on both sides of the radiator?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

10. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

AHHHHHHH, I need HP bad!! Hopefully this summer I'm going to rebuild my 350 TBI and bore it 30 or 40 over, put headers and dual on it, new intake, pistons, heads, etc. Hey while I got 'er out of the BEAST, might as well do it all eh?? Good luck man

"Crutch" Huckins
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

11. Blaze81

Blaze81 Registered Member

Don't waste your time or engine boring out the cylinders unless you need to. Boring the cylinders oversize adds only very small to no advantages and removes metal that doesnt need to be removed. Real power increases come from bumping up the compression ratio with cam and head upgrades. Those are the more expensive and time consuming methods of more power. Easier way if you have a good motor is carb/ignition upgrade and exhaust upgrades.

Tuck

12. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

If your towing you might consider a 383 build up on your 350 block. A 383 built correctly will give you 400lbs of torque with 87 oct gas. The cam is the heart here of course. I'd shy away from the high lift long duration stuff. Might want to find a shop that specializes in performance build-ups.

13. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Try to get a pair of Vortec cylinder heads (if you haven't already). The combustion chamber design is crucial for power, but most cylinder heads with good designs are up in the thousands. A pair of vortecs will give you comparable results for about $400. (Sounded like a salesman hehe)

I say if you get the Vortecs, a good cam and an Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, you'll be more than happy. Actually the Vortecs is my next upgrade (after I fix my ignition)

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

14. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you need HP,maybe gearing would give you what you need you might have 3.05 gears also what size tires are you running? I have 4.11's and 33's and have no problem pulling major hills.

15. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

My vote is for exhaust for your first upgrade. It shouldn't cost a ton and you don't have to pull the engine out to do it. Keep it simple and legal with a cat-back system or something. Or just replace the muffler with a phat Flowmaster.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

16. AIRBORNE

AIRBORNE Registered Member

What ignition products have you tried? You are running TBI, correct?

17. AIRBORNE

Read some where that Flowmasters were more restrictive than Walker dynomax.? Also found that Thrush turbo which is almost a copy of Flowmaster is cheaper and is made by Walker.

18. AIRBORNE

If you do the exhaust, I can tell you that I have switched mine to a true dual exhaust. Twin cats with Thrush Turbos. Did have Flowmasters until they rusted out. And then found out about the differences between the two (see previous post). I am getting 15 mpg on the hw. I am running a 350 tbi with rv cam, 4:88 gear ratio front and rear with a Auburn limited slip in the rear. With the 700r4 tranny low first gear it willget up quick and cruise 65 mph at 2200 rpm. And my latest trip to the emmissions station caused no problems and passed with FLYING colors. I will be changing the cam soon though, It seems like it has a small miss, or the computer doesn't like it sometimes at partial throttle cruising. Going to put a Crane Compucam 2020 in it.