Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HP vs. Regular Dana 44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Swanson52, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I assume the only strength advantage a high pinion 44 has over a standard 44 is the pinion/ring gear strength? Just checking.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I would assume the same thing, everything else is pretty much the same stuff. </font color>

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

and the high pinion---the driveshaft would be higer---and if im not mistaken i think i read somewhere that the "high pinion" makes the R&amp;P weaker---or was that "reverse cut"---

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

For pratical purpouses "high pinion", "reverse cut" and "Ford front" are the same thing. The pinion is above the axle centerline and when used in a front axle app it is stronger because the drive side of the gear is driven as opposed to the coast side that is driven in a GM front. This also makes it weaker in the rear. I know someone will chime in with all the proper terms and enginerring but in the real world of junkyard stuff you're looking at a Ford front D44/D60 or a TLC 8" front to get the high pinion or a full custom.

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I already have the ford D60 for my own app, just proving a point to a buddy that wants to do the same thing (but has a 44 rather than a 60). He 'hears' about the people that have the answers on CK5, he just doesn't KNOW yet. He'll learn... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

dammlt, i wish i had a dana 44, but i have a ten bolt for the front, i have no complaints tho, i i had the front fall 3 feet to the ground while off-roading, went off a 3 foot drop off at 25 mph by a pool and raquet club at 11:30, yea im crazy. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif