Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HP vs. Torque

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by InTheHills, Mar 9, 2003.

1. InTheHills

InTheHills Newbie

Looking at picking up a 69-72 Blazer. I am planning a 4 inch lift and probably 34in tires. It will be a daily driver that I use in the woods quite a bit. I am planning to do everything "Rright" I know what the axles, tranny etc will be but still up in the air with the engine. Any recomendations on engine size and what numbers I should be aiming for would be great. I am thinking 350HP/ 400Ft-lbs. I am affraid this might be a little conservaive with this big a rig. Help me out on this one.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5

For me I would go for Torque and as much as I like a Rat motor the way the Gas prices are going I would stay with a Small Block My first choice would be a 400 with FI. The next one would be a GM crate motor like the Ram Jet 350.
    The motor I have in my 83 is a GM crate motor it's the 330 horse 350 that run quite good here in Colo Al it really needs is FI and I think that would be it.

Eric

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Gypsy, welcome. Here are a few hints:
    1) fill out your profile
    2) let us know what you plan to do w/ your truck
    3) let us know more about what your truck's current state is
    4) SEARCH
    Do these things and you will have a better chance of getting a usefull answer.

4. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

thats a good # for hp and tq, and still having it be wallet friendly. a good 350 or even 383 will produce the #'s you are looking for very easily. i would keep a stock bottem end (crank and rods) new pistons, .030 over bored. a nice rv and off road cam, an intake and a set of heads that match. look up www.airflowresearch.com they have some nice stuff, also trick flow. heads intake and cam are where 85% of your power comes from, so thats not a place to cheap out, the bottem end is responsible for the 15% so stock crank and rods with a nice set of pistons will do fine. if you go 383 then get out the check book, more machine work is needed, new crank, new rods (sometimes) so if your going that route you might as well go all out and not spare a dime. just remember reliable HP costs money, and you get what you pay for.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Welcome to CK5. Whats under the hood right now ?? I've been having visions of a 383-HT dancing in my head lately.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

400 ft lbs from a 383 shouldnt be to much of a problem. Someday when my newish crate 350 goes belly up, Im gonna rebuild it as a 383 with FI. a properly built 383 has good low end for a small block. Of course, maybe I'll just say screw it and get a 5.9L cummins diesel... 555 ft lbs at 1800rpm? YIKES. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j