Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HREW vs. sch 40?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

HREW is stronger right? by how much? is sch. 40 used for water pipes?

2. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

sch.40 (1/8"wall)is black pipe.pretty strong,you could also get sch 80(3/16" wall) or sch 160(1/4"wall ,we use this at work for hyd.press pipe)i know all these are strong ,would not want to try to bend it usless i had a power bench bender.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Whatcha doin' Jon?:ears:

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just playing around w/ some ideas.... its top secret:D

5. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

From what I can tell HREW is a type of pipe.... Sch 40 relates to the wall thickness of the pipe.

So for example you could get 1.5" Sch 40 in different grades like A, B, F... and in different types like HREW, ERW or Seamless. Plus you can get most of these in a couple of different materials like A-53 and A-106.

Pipe gets a bad wrap because there are low grades of pipe. You just want to use a high grade to make sure you get a strong material.

Grade B is very strong but not intended for close coiling (bending)

Grade A is almost as strong with a Yield Strength of 30000psi and Tensile of 48000psi. Using that with a seamless or ERW type works well for cages. I usualy use 1.5" sch 40 for cages and sch 80 for high impact places like rockers (the extra thickness keeps it from denting).

6. rcurrier44

The wall thicknesses will vary by diameter.... 1/8" sch 40 has a wall thickness of .068, ware 2" sch 40 has a wall thickness of .154....

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

whatever your thinking about with it, make sure it has water, or air flowing through it. SC40 is too brittle to build anything that will take a beating out of.

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

really? my rock sliders are made of sch 40, and they've held up great.i dont plan to have water flowing thru anything, i only asked that because i've seen some cheap benders that said they are for rigid and water pipe. wondering what pipe falls into those catagories

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

so grade A is best for bending?what other grades are good?

10. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

2" sch. 40 is 2.375" OD and 2" ID.

1.5" sch. 40 is 1.9" OD and 1.5" ID

1.25" sch. 40 is 1.6" OD and 1.25" ID

11. rcurrier44

I like to stick with A-53 Grade A or A-106. The A-106 is seamless and more expensive but is sutable for bending flanging and similer forming operations. I would go down to your local steel supplier and ask for one of their steel handbooks... they are usualy free and will tell you all about the different materials that your supplier carries.

12. bgreen

bgreen 1/2 ton status

Posts like this are what make the Internet such a PITA to get good information from. If you have some real world and verifiable information, or experience to back up what you said, PLEASE post it. Otherwise, you should not post this kind of stuff.

I use 1.5" sch 40 (.145 wall) A53A-E pipe for my cage, rock rails, and chassis. No dents, no bends, three good rolls. and no damage to report. Sure, its not as strong as 4340, or even 1045 DOM, but it sure as hell isnt brittle. To generically say "pipe" is too brittle is like saying pencils suck for writing with. Sure pens are nicer, but that doenst mean you cant get your point across with a pencil. ;););)

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

HREW is preferred over pipe cause it was designed as a structual item. Pipe was designed to carry fluids. That being said, pipe can work (it is heavier though) just fine for bumpers, and armor. I personally don't reccomend pipe for cages because it is a softer material when bending forces are applied. However, any cage no matter what material can fail simply due to poor design. A heavy wall cromoly cage can fail before a pipe cage just because of simple gusseting. A well designed structure is key.