Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hrmmm...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by clubba68, Oct 3, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Calculus at 1:40am... Boy I LOVE school! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

MMmmMmmmm... calculus at 4am is even better! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Wait till you have to pull an all nighter doing vector-calc. You haven't lived till you've done that! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I take it this if for some eng. classes??

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Fun Fun Fun !!!

You can blame this guy:

[​IMG]

The "Father of The Calculus"

Many people believed that Gottfried Leibniz should be considered "the father of the calculus" but Newton really didn't like Leibniz so he took care of that when he was president of the Royal Society (elected in 1703 and re-elected each year until his death). He appointed an "impartial" committee to decide whether he or Leibniz was the inventor of the calculus. He wrote the official report of the committee (although of course it did not appear under his name) which was published by the Royal Society, and he then wrote a review (again anonymously) which appeared in the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society. What a guy!

Newton was named Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge in 1669, when he was only twenty-seven years old. The current Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge is a pretty interesting guy, Steven Hawking.

[​IMG]

If you ever get the chance to see him lecture, do it.

Now, get back to your books! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Vector-calc is going to be sweet!
    Dan-
    Thanks for that post, it was most interesting. Busted out another 2hrs of it this morning, and now it is time to go to school. Off I go...

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Nice...

I remember the days when calc was life. If you ever get a chance, try reading Hawkings book... its pretty good if your a science geek like me. (B.S. in particle physics minor in literature, accepted to UW to get my masters in quantitative physics)

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Batchelors degree in Particle Physics: $30,000.00
    Minor in Literature: $20,000.00
    Learning that you can fit 32.5 cases of 12oz cans of beer in the rearend of a 57 Chevy Nomad below the window line and not get caught by the po-po: priceless

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Leibniz ownz newton. Newton used some wacky notation that only he understood back in the day.. it was great for him to explore physics etc, but didnt help the rest of us for jack. Leibniz on the other hand invented the dy/dx type notation which actually made calculas teachable and therefore useful to society. Newtons was to busy dodging apples to worry about such things apparently. Interestingly, successive generations of german mathmeticians were the ones who knocked out damn near all the mathmatical proofs related to calculas that we use today. No doubt this was a product of Leiniz's accessible form of math. Additionally, Leibniz didnt stick his head out in the physics front... which is good, cause guys like Einstein come along every once in a while and lop some heads. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

anyway, i dont think Leibniz gets neeeeearly enough credit for his contribution to mathmatics... he's definitely on of the best ever.

j

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

dood..sometimes the sh*t you spout out scares me! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif At least I don't feel like such a geek now with you guys around! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Actually...now I feel a bit on the unintelligent side /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. jekbrown

yeah, my nerd credentials are pretty good. Started using computers in 1980 or so (back when there was such a thing as a "computer geek")... always been a hardcore video game whore... was in the chess club in HS... and at Clark I took pretty much all the math they had... I could regularly be seen walking around campus with that big azz calc book and my TI-92+ calculator. Yep, Im a nerd alright... only way it could be worse is if I wore really bad clothes... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, Im a nerd alright... only way it could be worse is if I wore really bad clothes...

[/ QUOTE ]

or drove a ferd! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. jekbrown

lol, i have always wanted a Cobra...

[​IMG]

don't think that fits in the definition of "nerd" though... even if it is powered by a ferd. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If you have the $$ for one of those...you can be as big a' nerd as you want to be! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Case in point - Bill Gates! He lends credence to the bumpersticker "Be nice to the nerds...someday you will work for one"! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. jekbrown

lol, I'd never get an original... be to scared to drive it for worry about body damage and stuff. nah, I'd get a nice kit car and throw a nice healthy 5.0 in there and be happy. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif lot less $ than an original. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

14. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine's dad has one, original, in mint condition. It is the most gorgeous car that I have ever seen. His dad is also the accountant for the King of Saudi Arabia, but that is another story. I guess with that job you can afford that car. It is out in West Lynn. Sometimes you can see him driving it around in SW Portland.

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd get a nice kit car

[/ QUOTE ]
    I remember a few years ago Costco was selling the kits for those. They were a measly $40K /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif No eng, trans, or wheels & tires! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A friend of mine's dad....is the accountant for the King of Saudi Arabia,

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Holy She-ite Muslims Batman!! How does one stumble across THAT job!? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif WAY COOL THOUGH! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I don't know... he IS Saudi Arabian /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif