Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ht 383 engine swap flywheel question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AntAZBlaz, Jul 17, 2003.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

does anyone know if there will be a problem using my original fly wheel on this new engine. my 86 came with a 14 inch and the new engine came with a 12 3/4. being able to use the old one would mean that i could keep all of my old equipment and not have to modify anything.

king

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you'll have to use the flywheel for a 400

3. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

can you give me more detail i don't know to much about this subject. are you saying that it won't work?
    king

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

IIRC, there are internal and externally balanced flywheels.

interal balance = every SBC i know of, except the 400

External blanace = SBC 400

you are using a SBC 400 crank in a 350 block, so your harmonic dampner and flywheel must be off a 400 since you are using a 400 crank. i assume you used the 5.565 rods and pistons for a bored .030 350 block, thus making a 383

If you have an aftermarket crank (Scat, Eagle, etc.) then check your manufactuers guidelines.

5. Gray Blaze

Gray Blaze Registered Member

Call Kings Balancing service @623-934-3279 , they got um /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

is it an actual HT 383 by gm?? or one you built yourself??. The GM ones are also one piece seal, and the flywheels between the two piece and the one piece wont interchange either.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

My 383 is using the stock flywheel, GM PART # 14088761. This is a 168 tooth, for a one piece seal. I think '86 up used the same flywheel.

8. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Right now I have been through about 6 different starters and none of them have worked out correctly. And this is an actual gm performance parts 383.So all of the information for it can be found at.

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevySmallBlockV8s/HT_383.html

Here is a picture of the rear of my 350.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~antyk/rearoldeng0.JPG

and here is the front and back picture of my flywheel.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~antyk/flywheelback.JPG
    http://www.public.asu.edu/~antyk/flywheelfront.JPG

By the way which side is considered the front and which is the back I’m not sure if matters or not.

I called that shop Kings Balancing, and as soon as I mentioned that it was a crate engine they told me to call the Chevy place.

Now I have called the Chevy place, in fact two dealerships but I don’t think they were really paying attention. Both of them said that I should just be able to swap the gears no problem. I just want to triple check that information before I waste more time working at something that is wrong.

Is there any difference between GM PART # 14088761 and my flywheel any reason to buy that one?

Thanks for the information

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The flywheel that came on your engine is a 153 tooth flywheel, and the one on mine is 168. The newer model 350's have the 168 tooth flywheel.

10. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

If you look up the flexplate that comes with the HT383 (14088765) at the GM Performance Parts web site, you will see that it is a normal one piece rear seal 350 flywheel (153 tooth as noted above). This indicates that the HT383 is internally balanced, the same as a late model 350. You should be able to use your 168 tooth flexplate from your old 350 with no problem.

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Anthony...get a hold of mosesburb...he is my best bud....and happens to be one hell of a parts man...he'll straighten out your problem!

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Everything has been worked out it was a pain to do but the old 14 flexplate is on the engine and the truck is running just a few things to work on and everything will finally be done.
    king