Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ht383 oil pressure?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AntAZBlaz, Feb 26, 2004.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone else is running one of these and what kind of oil pressure you see out of it. My old 350 never went any where near the 60 mark on my oil pressure gauge but the 383 continuously starts up and runs around that pressure until hot.

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

mine runs right around 60 also.(383 )

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know this doesn't pertain to your question but my original factory 350 that is still currently in my blazer runs just a hair under 60 PSI all the time. I have tested it with a mechanical guage and it is accurate. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My little 4.3L V6 with 148K on the clock fires up at about 60 PSI, even with Mobil 1 in the crank case. On really cold mornings it pegs the gauge at 80 PSI. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But it's been like that since new, so I don't worry about it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Once warmed up it runs in the 35-55 PSI zone, depending on RPM.

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good oil pump to me...
    But definitely call the fellas at GMPP or better yet Scoggin-Dickey or Pace Chevrolet and run it by them to make sure every thing is on the up and up /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

cool i just wanted to make sure others were experienceing the same thing.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

My 383 has a Z-28 oil pump and runs 60 psi.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am not running the HT 383, but my crate 350 runs 60 PSI or more at start and 45 or more when cruising. Idle when hot can get down to 35-40. I also have 30K or so on my motor though probably.

Harley

9. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

You may have a high volume oil pump installed. irregardless, 60psi is fine, I'm not sure why you would worry about this amount of pressure. Someone may argue that you would pull all of the oil out of the pan which would cause the pump to run dry, but that seems unlikely. When I used to build motors more frequently than I do now, I alway installed a high volume pump which ran around 60psi all the time, never had trouble with them. Stroker motors like 383's don't require anymore oiling ability than other motors. I would think it is fine. Good Luck!! [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] RANGER: When you care enough to send the very best!!

10. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

same here, a 383 with 60 plus, one thing to think of is are you sucking your oil pan dry? do you run a external oil cooler or a deep sump oil pan? some thing to think about maybe?

11. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i thought they came with high pressure pumps and not high volume...