Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hub and rear axle question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Strahan, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Will it hurt anything besides gas mileage to leave the hubs locked? It'd be a little more convenient that way and fuel economy already sucks so no big loss hehe.

Also I heard that rear axles from a van can make the rear wheels stick further out so as to match the fronts. What years/models should I look for to get donor axles? Thanks!

2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

leaving the hubs locked would put a lot more wear on everything, the front diff, the t-case, and drive shaft, it would always be spinning, I personally wouldn't do it, you'd be replacing parts far too often.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

convienent???????? sounds like laziness to me,,,,take a whole 30 seconds to get out, and lock or unlock your hubs,,,,,

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

But my shoes may get dirty...

5. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Ehh, don't wanna beat it up so forget that. Heh, yea, laziness is a large factor. I just need to bring buddies with me more often, last time I made them go lock and unlock ;)

6. CumminsChick

CumminsChick 1/2 ton status

i learned

i got out in this and mud FILLED my muckboots! lol, taught me to lock em before i get into the mud. duhr

-b

n12905651_32710916_8592.jpg

7. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I read somewhere that if you run mostly in 2wd, you need to lock your hubs every once in a while just to keep your t-case lubricated.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

that is only with a 203

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Yeah that's pretty lazy.(Says the guy that rocks flanges:haha:)

10. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Hehe yea, i've been in that situation. Actually it was pretty funny.. I was on my way to a friend's wedding. Got into town and realized I was way too early. Me and my other friend decided to hit the local woods trail with my Blazer to pass the time. Totally forgot about the hubs. Hit into a fairly deep mudhole then realized why I was stuck heh. Mind you both of us are in nice clothes for the wedding and the truck was surrounded in muck. (Probably this whole idea was bad from the get-go). Sooo I rolled the window down and climbed onto the hood. Very slowly and carefully I leaned over and put my hand on the mucky tire to stabilize and leaned down reaching for the hub when a large chunk of mud that was on the tire that was supporting my hand broke loose and before I could react I ended up plummeting head first into the mud! :haha:

Needless to say, I didn't go to the wedding and neither did my pal (who I was seriously tempted to drag into the damned mud cuz he was laughing so hard he was crying hehe) At least she pulled right out once the hubs were locked ;)

11. CumminsChick

CumminsChick 1/2 ton status

that's all thats important... bet wheeling was more fun than the wedding woulda been!

i didn't get stuck, my boyfriend in his ramcharger did tho and i had to lock my hubs (he was in 4 and got stuck i was in 2 and didnt'...talk about an ego blow) so that i could pull my boyfriend outta the mud. i still haven't him live it down that the suburban he gives so much hell pulled his "wonderful" dodge out that night (it was pitch dark and we weren't supposed to be where we were on a military post)