Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hub conversion MM Vs. Warn

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dunc03, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

My automatic hubs have started locking in at unoppertune time, like in traffic, which wouldn't be so bad except for only one tries to do it. Anyways I've just about had it and I'm going to change them over to manual hubs. I really hate to do it, I mean who really wants to get out in the mud to lock them in, but I have a lack of other options.

I have two questions for you guys. First off, which hubs should I look into mile marker, or warn. I've looked at prices on both and the MM premiums are about $40 less than the Warn Premiums. Are the Warns really worth the $40 extra bucks. What kind of warranties do these things carry. I search the net and all I could find is that autozone offers a 3 month warranty on the MM's. I found nothing on the warn.

Question # 2, Has anyone ever noticed vibration in the front end that was causes by the hubs. I had my blazer flood out on me today, and when it was rolling back into the drive I felt alot of vibration, like a grinding, that was coming from the front end. Its not like the noise it makes when one hub tries to lock, it more like you can feel the hubs, or something else rotating and grinding, or maybe bumping as it rotates.

Thanks for the advice in advance. I know that this has probably been cover before, but the search feature wasn't working when I tried. Thanks again.

2. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

in my opinion the warns are not woth the extra I have mm and they are great and i have never had a problem with them.

just my 2 cents
    rick

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1. you can lock your hubs in ahead of time and leave them locked until you need 4wd. That way you won't have to get out and get dirty to lock your hubs in. Prime example of this is in the winter. If I didn't leave my hubs locked and found myself in a ditch, I would have to dig for my hubs in the snow until I could lock them in and get out.

Warn hubs are available on Ebay for $40 a set for the premiums and i think $10 shipping. Check them out, they're brand new from a Warn dealer with full warranty.

My personal opinion is that they're all made from pot metal anyway, and that all of them are about the same. Unless you really thrash your rig, you won't break them anyway. I've managed to break my shafts and u joints but my hubs are still holding strong.

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I think it is POR that has a good write-up on the comparison. The warn's are better sealed to the environment (water), and would be my first choice. I agree with Tim that ebay is a good place to look. For 2nd gens, they have some sweet deals. For 1st gens like I have, I have actually seen them sell for more than retail value.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Personally, I am using the MM's. They have held up fine to everything I've dished out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Here is a comparison article. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My automatic hubs have started locking in at unoppertune time, like in traffic, which wouldn't be so bad except for only one tries to do it. Anyways I've just about had it and I'm going to change them over to manual hubs. I really hate to do it, I mean who really wants to get out in the mud to lock them in, but I have a lack of other options.

I have two questions for you guys. First off, which hubs should I look into mile marker, or warn. I've looked at prices on both and the MM premiums are about $40 less than the Warn Premiums. Are the Warns really worth the $40 extra bucks. What kind of warranties do these things carry. I search the net and all I could find is that autozone offers a 3 month warranty on the MM's. I found nothing on the warn.

Question # 2, Has anyone ever noticed vibration in the front end that was causes by the hubs. I had my blazer flood out on me today, and when it was rolling back into the drive I felt alot of vibration, like a grinding, that was coming from the front end. Its not like the noise it makes when one hub tries to lock, it more like you can feel the hubs, or something else rotating and grinding, or maybe bumping as it rotates.

Thanks for the advice in advance. I know that this has probably been cover before, but the search feature wasn't working when I tried. Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ] I like the WARN Premiums.

7. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

original Spicer lockouts are my preference

8. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    original Spicer lockouts are my preference

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

By the way, Mile Marker manufactured the locking hubs for Spicer.

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

as for the vibration, I would guess that it is a u-joint out on the front driveline or axel. As for hubs, if you can get the warns as cheap as you can get MM then i owuld get the warns. they're just better in IMHO.

10. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Nobody has mentioned yet, but the warn hubs have a lifetime warrenty.

11. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the great information. I think i will go check out ebay to see if I can gget some cheaper. I will have to have them shipped anywhere I buy warns from because theres not a local dealer around me. Again thanks for the info.