Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hub fuse?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4trolls, Mar 15, 2005.

1. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I did a search on this and didnt come up with much. Is anyone running hub fuses with big tires? I have a dana44 hd in the front of my 3/4ton ,on 39.5s. what I want to know is do they strip alot or do they last a while? thanks ...steve

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I dont have any real experiences with them, but I considered them when I was recommended that the only way I should run CTMs and Chromos in my D44 was with the fuses. The shop I talked to about them said they do thier job... very well... almost too well... They basically recommended that if I ran them, to carry lots of replacement fuses, because they break lots.
    But other than that, I dont have personal stories.
    Mike

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can only run fuses with an open diff, limited slip diff, ARB'ed diff or true spooled diff.

When a fuse goes it has a very high likelyhood of breaking the locker at the same time. The only locker that can handle it is the ARB.

Harley

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The problem I see with hub fuses is that they must break b4 the steering UJ does, at full lock. That is significantly below what it would take to hurt the steering UJ at straight ahead. So the fuse(s) could blow when you're doing everything right and not bound up while turning. If they're strong enough to take full load while going straight, then they won't blow b4 the steering joint will break when at full lock.