Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hub fuses (opinions)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84zz4ss, Mar 7, 2007.

1. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anybody have experience with warn hub fuses? Will they protect my ten bolt from my 35's? I will have a detroited 14 bolt with 456's. The ten bolt will be open with spicer joints. Mostly mud and trails but I do have a very heavy foot. Tell me what you guys think.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

How much is a set of fuses compared to 10 bolt axle shafts? Is it worth the cost? If something lets go either way you can risk damage to other parts internal to the dif as you know. If you are gonna break, you are gonna break. I guess do you wanna replace hub fuses or axle shafts. Fuses are easier to get to when in a mud hole I guess:haha: .

Ira

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had hub fuses in my warn premiums on a dana 44. I never broke them. I broke a stock shaft at the neck down and then broke 2 warn HD shafts. the hub fuses will break before a u-joint when the wheels are straight. thats when the joints are the strongest.

They are a very cheap investment. If they save an axleshaft once they paid for themselves. I have the heaviest foot out of anyone I wheel with. I never broke anything in the front end when it was on 35's and locked. While I was building my 60 I took the truck out a couple of times with the 44's on the dana 44. thats where all the carnage came from.:rolleyes:

Go get yourself a lockright for the front and have fun.