Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hub Fuses

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stormin, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Stormin

Stormin Registered Member

Hey ya'll this is my first post here. I've been reading for a while and I'm loving this forum. I was hoping to get some opinions on Warn hub fuses.
    Last weekend I took out my blazer for the first time after spending all winter and all of my credit limit stuffing 3/4 ton axles, new springs, tires, fender flares, and a spool in the front. First big mudpit I came to I locked in both the hubs, hit it hard and made it about halfway through before I broke the driver side cv joint. This leads me to a few questions.
    Has anybody had an exprience with Warn hub fuses? Supposedly these things are made to break before the u joints will and they are cheaper and easier to replace. Sounds great to me but I am new to driving with a spooled up front end. Am I just going to break the fuse every time I put my foot down?
    I am hoping to get away with just junkyarding a new inner and outer axle shaft (I'm pretty sure I broke the yokes on both of em) and installing the hub fuse. Figure I can do this in an afternoon for around $100. My other option is to whip out the ol' Mastercard and get the Warn axleshafts and CTM joint. Priced this out at $650 for just the broken driver side.
    So the question is this: With the spool in the front and my motto of "drive it like you stole it", does the stock stuff even have a chance or am I probably going to break every weekend? I really do not have the cash right now to do it right so I'm hoping the hub fuse combined with stock junkyard parts will keep me out of trouble for a while.
    Thoughts?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Id say buy some new spicer u joints, and get a collection of junkyard axles going.
    Install new ujoints in em and have spares and the tools handy for the trail.
    Burt4x4 runs the hub fuses. i donno, just seems like one more thing that you know is going to break in this case. I saved my $$$ for quite a while so that axle breakage is pretty much a thing of the past for me. :thumb:

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I see you are running 36's. With a spooled D44 I would say you are at the extreme edge of it's strength with stock parts. Here is where you have to make a decision of dumping A bunch of $$$$ into a D44, or buying a D60. After you spend all the money on upgraded shafts and joints you can prolly find a 60 for the same price. Just a consideration especially if you are gonna go to a bigger/more aggressive tire. Just my .02

Welcome to CK5...BTW credid cards and this site don't play nice together :D

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you want to "drive it like you stole it" then you should probably save your money for a D60. A 36" tires on a D44 or a 10 bolt is in the breakage range if you are driving it somewhat sanely.

Hub fuses may help you, but they will probably add up once you start popping them. I would say get a set of used axles and put in some good ujoints (spicer 760X). Also install hub fuses and see how you do with it. Carry a spare set of axleshafts though cause the fuses aren't 100% full proof. Then start saving money in the piggy bank and find a D60.

Harley

5. Stormin

Stormin Registered Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I suppose I will try some junkyard parts and spicer u-joints with the hub fuses. Probably I will just burn them out left and right but at least if I burn out a hub fuse I will still have power to one front tire without having to do any work on the trail. Looks like next winter I'll be beefing up that 44.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

spool? in the front? yikes. not sure who recommended that to ya, but its not the best of ideas especially when you are already taxing a half ton axle with those 36s.

j