Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hub locks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aknight_sa, Jan 7, 2006.

1. aknight_sa

aknight_sa 1/2 ton status

hello all,

is there any advantage of having the manual hub locks over the auto hub locks?

i thought this was an old technology which isnt used any more but i saw a 2003 Toyota Landcrusier which has them as well...

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its almost like gambling , sooner or later your gonna have to pay .

They are prone to not working .

Get Warns , they have a great warranty , and you'll know if its locked or not .

Besides , getting out to do the hubs , keeps you conditioned to look over your stuff before you wheel .

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Do a search, I think there was just a thread on this.
    It's somewhat a matter of preference. Manual hubs are definitive and reliable and robust. Auto hubs can be problematic and spin more parts when not engaged (some of them).

4. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I also asked the same question on the board recently- by far, most people felt the manual ones were more reliable and gave you better control.

About a week after that thread, I started getting bumped out of 4WD and sure enough it was the auto hub crapping out! Swapped in some Spicer manual ones a friend gave me and problem solved.