Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hub or X-Case problem??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bone85K5, Dec 9, 2000.

1. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

OK, recently, when I have either a) from a redlight, gunned it or b) hit the brakes hard I get this awful gearing type clunking/grinding noise the front end. I have stock drivtrain and auto hubs. I feel that from a redlight or on cold mornings that it starts out driving like the front end is locked or partially locked in 4wd. When i brake hard sometime I get this awful grinding noise coming from the front end. This problem has been very rare and usually I pull over, back up a ways and the hubs unlock and im fine but the other day it seemed to do it more than usually (vs only once every couple of weeks) I have bought some new Warn manual hubs (the passng side hub has been kinda wet lately and I think some of the noise is form the left too) that I havent had time to put in yet. I hope this fixes things, but the one day this was at its worst I start gettin the drip-drip from the transfer case. Its just a little leak, not empty and appears to be coming form the top of front of the case. Hopefully the new hubs will solve everything but why is the x-case leaking? I just got all the diff serviced and filled. Anything else I should be worried about here? I am really babying it trying to make sure it doesnt engage and if it does make sure i dis-engage it...

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would say its your hubs. This all sounds pretty familiar as a few people have had similar experiences lately.
    As for the Tranfer case leaking, check the fluid level in the tranny, it may be that the seal between the tranny and transfer case is leaking allowing tranny fluid into the transfer case. This would make the transfer case overfull and may cause some leaking. I'm assuming an auto tranny and a 208.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

It is an auto and a 208. Also, any guys from GA, are there any good shops that you suggest. I spend most of my time in Athens or Columbus but Atlanta is right there in the middle.

Ben

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Its your hubs. Mine did about the exact same thing. Just put the set of manual hubs. The auto hubs are not worth rebuilding or messing with. They usually go out in about a year after the rebuild any how.
    As for the leak, check the fluid level maby when it was serviced they overfilled it.
    If you want to worry about something here goes: If your transfer case is leaking out the vent or seals it may be because the rear seal in the transmition is bad.This is Assuming you have an auto trans.
    If the rear tranny seal goes out it lets the fluid from the trans leak into the transfer case. This causes an over full condition in the transfer case and the excess fluid is forced out of the vent on top, and seals. So check the trans fluid. If you are loosing fluid in the trans and the transfer case has too much fluid in it the rear seal is going out in the transmition. One of the things that causes the seal to go out is overfilling the transmition. A buddy of mine has this problem in his pickup for about 2 years now. Its no big deal he just has to check the trans fluid and add some now and then. Just went with him wood cutting in his truck today and it hasn't blown yet. He says its kind of handy,adding new fluid all the time keeps his trans fluid nice and clean. LOL

5. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I will check that. The auto tranny is less than 2years old and the x-case was serviced maybe 2-3 weeks ago. It started leaking 2 days ago after the worst bought of clunking and jumping and grinding.

Ben