Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hub Problem.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JunkYardCrawler, Sep 19, 2000.

1. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

Ok i'm new to this 4x4 stuff. and i take my truck on the rocks when i can.(just got back from a month long trip to tucson and las vegas, spent the whole time in the mountains=)) but any ways, i blew a hub not sure how or when. I was up on a rock (stuck of course) and noticed my front tires were not helping to pull me off. but befor i went out my driver side hub was extremly hard to lock. later when i got back to the road i noticed that the cap was seperating from the housing and when i got home took it apart wand found that all the clips were off and the outside housing clip had eating into the peice with allan screw holes. Well what i'm getting at is where can i find this part? every junkyard i go to the hubs are gone and if they are not gone they are autlocking. all the parts stores say that it is not made anymore. i have been to Lees 4x4 back country 4x4 and many other places. I broke down and bought a set of superwich hubs with a matnice free life time warenty. are these any good?

From the Grave to eat the Jeeps

2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

superwinch, if it is a brass cap hub, and if it is the 3/4 turn lock to lock is a good hub, does it have all metal parts inside? if not take it back where you bought it and compare it to the Warn Premium hubs.
    Either way, save your old good hub as a spare in case this ever happens again.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

3. JunkYardCrawler

no its a 1/2 hub with a blue cap. the orignal were the stock waran hubs. they look alot stronger from my point of view and would like to put them back in. i have the old hubs still all the parts raped up in a shirt.

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Well did you have fun ! , where's back country 4X4 ?
    If you are really looking for O.E.M. locking hubs for a 73 Blazer good luck !

P.S. the cheap Warns have held up good for me(less than 49.95 when on sale), and no Warn retailer has failed to
    replace them yet.

5. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Check real carefully the lock retainers and bearings/spindles and make sure they were not damaged either, I have a regular warn on on side and a premium warn on the other..running a test to see which lasts longer!![​IMG]

White Knight

6. JunkYardCrawler

Sorry it's not the waran hub that were on it. i was think of other hubs i have seen. but it was the stock dana spicer hubs.

7. JunkYardCrawler

yeah i had a lot of fun. i blew my hub out at redington(don't know if i spelled that right) at about mile marker 9. back country 4x4 is in vegas

8. JunkYardCrawler

yeah i had a lot of fun. i blew my hub out at redington(don't know if i spelled that right) at about mile marker 9. back country 4x4 is in vegas

9. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

First of all, welcome fellow '73K5er. I still have what appears to be the original Warn locking hubs on mine. I would go with Warn premium to replace them. Never heard anything bad about the 1/2 models. Not that I've really heard anything bad about the Superwinches either, but I believe the Warns are built better.