Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hub question *DELETED*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigredblzr, Jan 19, 2004.

1. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by bigredblzr

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Re: Hub question

hub is rmeoved all from external, remove screws and snap ring and big nut or two and all will be ok

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

So basically you are turning a 1/2 6 lug into an 8 lug 3/4 ton? I'm not sure hub you are talking about..... the locking hub for 4 wheel drive or the drive hub with the 6/8 lugs on it. If its the locking hub, some hubs had a snap ring on the end of the axle shaft, others have a large ring that fits inside the edge of the big hub that the wheel bolts to. Remove that ring, remove the spindle nuts and the washer, remove the rotor, remove the spindle and reverse to install the 3/4 stuff.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

from reading your question... i'd say...

take off the outter snap ring and inner snap ring (on the axle shaft itself) with a screw driver and hammer or snapring removers. Then there will be a lock nut which you can remove by placing your screw driver at a 45 degree angle on one of the edges and banging with a hammer like it was any other nut and it will thread out. then there should be a locknut washer and another locknut. after that you remove the caliper and the hub assmebly should slide off the spindle? Correct me if i'm wrong, anyone.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Sounds right. There can be a snap ring on the end of the axle shaft, or a big ring that fits inside the edge of the wheel hub or even both. Either way remove them or it to remove the locking hub. Remove the outer spindle nut, the washer and the inner spindle nut and the whole rotor and hub will come off of the spindle. But DON'T use a screw driver to remove the spindle nuts. You can get the right socket from the Auto Zone loan a tool deal for less than $20

6. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I got it figured out!