Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hub question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chewy, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

I am removing the auto hubs on my 87 an installing Warn Premiums in their place. My question is how much do I remove from the auto hubs before installing the new hubs. do I go down all the way to the wheel bearing lock nut? Also, how much do I tourque the wheel bearing lock nut to? My Haynes manual gave about four different specifications.

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Remove every thing down to but not including the outer hub nut (the one that takes the special socket with 4 tits).

Adjusting the bearings (not required to install hubs, do this after removing the rotor for what ever reason): While rotating the hub, torque the inner nut to 50 ft. lbs. Back the nut off, then repeat. Back it off again, and this time adjust it to where you just feel the drag. This is done to seat the bearings. Then install the washer looking thing with all the holes in it, make sure the tit on the inner lock nut goes in one of the holes. Then install the outer lock nut, I believe the torque spec is 160 ft. lbs. Next, throw your Haynes manual in the trash and buy a HELM manual. Best source I've found is www.factoryautomanuals.com.

Is your truck grey and/or blue w/a lock-right sticker in the back window? I go to UCD, just wondering if I've seen your truck in the parking lot. I don't drive my Blazer to school anymore, but you may've seen my Dodge parked there, it's a white club cab long bed 4x4 sport.

BTW, ever spend any time down at Funuguys?

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

My truck is dark blue with a big grey spot on the passenger side rear quarter panel. The only stickers I have on the back are an anti ford sticker and an anti rice burners sticker. I go to Metro and I park in the lot down by the seventh street class building.

I tried that factory auto manuals place but they didn't have any for an 87. Thanks for the tip though.

I have never heard of funuguys.

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You might also try Colorado Car Books, at Broadway and Bellview.

I think I may have seen the truck at school, not sure though. You may have seen my Blazer around, it's white w/a white hard top in the winter and white soft top in the summer, servere sawzalling, and a 5' wide red bow tie on the hood, as well as plenty-o-dents.

Funuguys is a bar at Parker and Cottonwood.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    160 lbs./ft. I think NOT !

Try 80-100

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

WOW, 160 your kidding right???
    dude that is like WAY too much!! 50ftlbs on the outer nut is pleanty. You risk damaging the lock ring that goes inbetween the two nuts!
    The first nut sould end up at or around 35ftlbs after it has been seated.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

From the 1990 FACTORY manual:

Tighten the adjusting nut to 50 ft-lbs while roating the hub/rotor; this will seat the bearings.

Back off the adjusting nut.

Tighten
    For automatic hubs, torque the adjusting nut to 35 ft lbs while rotating the wheel.
    For manual hubs, torque the adjusting nut to 50 ft-lbs while rotating the wheel.

Back off the adjusting nut.
    For automatic hubs, back off 3/8 of a turn maximum.
    For manual hubs, back off enough to free the bearing.

Install the ring and lock nut.
    Tang on the inside diameter of the ring must pass onto the slot on the spindle.
    The hole in the ring must aling with the opin on the lock nut. Move the adjusting nut to align the pin.

Tighten the lock nut to 160 ft-lbs MINIMUM.

I've never had a problem damaging the ring. Torquing the adjusting nut to 35 ft-lbs will cook the bearings.

Pete

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

So what front axel are you refering too??
    I am talkin about a Dana44 6lug hub.
    Here is how I have been doing it sence I turned my first hub into multin LAVA[​IMG]hehe
    I too use the 50 ftlbs to seat the first nut while rotating the hub.
    Then I back it off and set to 35 and then just bairly and I mean bairly back it off.
    Slide on the ring and only loosen the nut to make the pin go into the closest hole counterclockwize.
    Then I put the lock nut on and set ot 50-55ftlbs.
    been doin it like this sence 94 and well over 50,000 miles and at least 8-10 wheelbearing jobs.

I think just like anything there is gonna be more than one way to do a spacific task so you just have to take in all the info givin and come up with a way that works best for you and your application. [​IMG]
    .02c

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    If the manuel say's 160 then it is a misprint.
    Are you saying you actually tighten it to 160, if so I would like to hear how you keep the spanner shocket on the nut !
    Good luck

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

This is for a 1/2 or 3/4 ton front. The 60's use a slightly different setup, I don't have the book in front of me now.

I have a socket that has both the 4 lug pattern and the 6 lug pattern for the rear. Stays on real well. My torque wrench only goes to 150, thats where I usually call it good. I usually take the off with the gun if I'm at home.

Pete

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have always done my tightening sequence EXACTLY like you say it. That outer nut is always hard to do. Its so hard sometimes to keep the socket on the nut and turn the torque wrench with one hand while holding the socket in with the other hand. Yeah, this method is used for both the D44 and 10B, either 6 and 8 lugs. The D60 is totally different method. You hit the sequence right on the money. Good job.

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I just checked the '88 HELM manual. Same thing.

Also checked the '80-'87 Chilton manual, not that its worth pissing on or that I would trust their torque specs, but:

...Install the outer locknut and torqu to a minimum of 80 ft-lbs on '80 models, 160-205 ft-lbs on '81 and later 1/2 and 3/4 ton models, and 65 ft-lbs on 1 ton.

Yes, it's hard to hold the socket on there. It takes one hand (or a knee) on the socket, and one on the torque wrench.

If you enjoy loose wheel bearings, feel free to torque them with a screwdriver or however you like. I'll continue to do it the way I have been. [​IMG]

Pete

13. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Hey, this is something I use when I do my Bronco II (haven't tried it on the Jimmy yet) and can't find my wife. I take a jack stand and adjust it to about level with the hub and put a long extension (mine is about 12" long) on the torque wrench and spanner nut. This way I only have to worry about keeping it seated and then torquing to 160 ft-lbs isn't that hard. It sure beats trying to hold it and torque it. It is also real handy when busting it loose. Hope this helps................

14. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all of the info. The installation went great this morning, I can't wait to get on the trails now knowing that my front axle is locked for sure! Thanks again.

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

No problem. Let me know if you need assistance with anything else, I'm just down the road in the Tech Center.

Pete