Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hub questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Apr 14, 2001.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Did blazers with full time 4x4 come from the factory with locking hubs? Mine is full time and has locking hubs, I was just wondering if someone put them there. If its always in 4x4 then why would I need to lock or unlock them anyways, shouldn't I just run them always locked? And one more question, if I unlock them and run my t-case in H, I shouldn't be able to go anywhere...right? I dont have the part time kit by the way.

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I'm not too familiar with the full time 4x4 setup, but I believe it means that the T-Case is always in 4 wheel, not the hubs.
    This means that your front diff would always spin, but the tires would only get torque when the hubs were locked.

The drawback would be that the front driveline parts (u-joints, ring/pinion gear, axle shafts, etc ....) would get more wear & tear from daily driving.

Like I said, I'm not too familiar with that setup, but that's what I have always understood it to be. Hopefully someone else can confirm/deny this.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

And also you would get worse gas milage with them always locked......

[​IMG]

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The "full time" 4x4s used a NP203 which has an open differential inside similar to an open axle differential. If the front hubs are not locked then you won't be able to go anywhere unless the tcase is in the "Lock" position. This is just like an open diff axle with one wheel in the air. A "part-time" kit will allow you to drive without the tcase in "lock" with the front hubs also unlocked. This gives you less wear on the front drive components AND better mileage. Bottom line, if you run a 203 and you want to be able to unlock the front hubs, you must install a part-time kit in the tcase.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

When I unlock the hubs, I can still drive...dose this mean that I have the part time kit? How can I check? But when it dose drive with the hubs unlocked, it makes a grinding noise from the front hubs when I let off the gas.

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

6. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I used to have an NP203 in my K5 and I installed Warn hubs on it. I ran it with the hubs unlocked and the transfercase in high locked so that it would move. If you run the hubs unlocked in high unlocked the transfercase sends all the torque to the non loaded axle. The axle with the unlocked hubs will always be the unloaded axle. I drove this way for a year or so.
    CB

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Like AZK5 said, if you do not have the 203 tcase in one of the "lock" positions AND your front hubs are unlocked, you will not be able to move UNLESS the tcase has been converted to part time.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.