Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hub rebuilding questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, May 5, 2007.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

hey all, im rebuilding the hubs on the truck this weekend, ive got all the parts, and the special tool for removing the lock nut. but i forgot to get grease for the bearings, so im on my way out again to get that, but i dont know if i need cotter pins or if so, what size, anyone know if ill need to get those, or does the lock nut and hub lock assembly do the same thing. what all else do i need to know about before i get muh hands dirty? should be pretty strait forward.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Get marine grease. There are no cotter pins in the hubs.

3. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

just take yuor time and pay attention to how i went together its really not taht hard of a job.

4. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

awesome, i didnt know if it was gonna be like my camaro hubs or not, good to know on the cotter pins. ill have to run out tomorrow and get the grease, marine grease it is. makes sense after all, its a military truck. ;) ill probly knock it out tomorrow, next weekend, rear axle seals and brakes, drums and shoes.... then road trip to new york :)

and yes i know it was marine in the water sense :)

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Marine grease is bad advice.
    It's not rated for the hi-temps that disc brake wheel bearings generate and can break down. Just get hi-temp wheel bearing grease designed for use with disc brakes and use it liberally.

6. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

BLAST foiled again, turns out the locknut tool i got is the wrong one, which is confusing, because i got the one for 82-89 or something 3/4 ton chevy trucks, and its a four point tool thats too large in diameter. I could have sworn the M1009 CUCV's were 3/4 ton trucks. perhaps i was wrong and ive got a 1/2 ton truck.

granted i got a NAPA tool that is for chevy, dodge, ford, yadda yadda, and it might just be too "general" of a tool. Even advanced auto didnt have the tool available to rent. i might swing by the chevy dealership and see if i still have enough sway to borrow one of the specialty tools. and if worst comes to worst, i might have to buy the right tool from the dealersihp. ah well, cest la vie.

on and in regard to the grease, i wound up getting mobile 1, its high temp, severe duty grease that is designed with water washout resistance. figure it will do the job.

7. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

arnt cucvs 1ton? if so theres your problem

o and use as much grease as you canthe more grease the better:wink1:

8. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

actually what it appears to be is that the tool i got is good for the 1 ton trucks, and not the 3/4 ton trucks as advertized. the M1008 trucks were 1 ton with the heavier duty front and rear axles and whatnot with the 4.56 gears. the M1009 like mine have GM corperate 10 bolts with 3.08 gears and are 3/4 ton.

as for the grease, im gonna be giving a new bearing packer a try that i picked up, it clamps the bearing between to plates with a shaft down the middle. you use a regular grease gun to inject the grease down that center shaft and it fills the bearing from the inside out, evenly and completely. at least thats what its supposed to do, well see how it really works, i might have to wind up doing it by hand lol.

9. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

The Mil rating on the M1009 is 3/4. K5s are rated at 1/2. Both have the exact same axles on them. Coporate 10 bolts. When getting parts you'll need to ask for 1/2 ton stuff:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't know why the military rates it higher.

10. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

man thats depressing, i thought i had a 3/4 ton truck, ah well, bragging rights aside, its still a farkin bad mamma jamma, thanks, guess ill go swap out the tool at napa tomorrow ;)