Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hub replacement, Jack it up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bladwin, Sep 24, 2006.

1. bladwin

bladwin Registered Member Premium Member

Yo, I swear I searched. Do you need to jack it up to replace the hubs? You don't have remove the bearing adjustment nut correct? So you should be ok? My dirt driveway is a real pain in the rear to jack on... Thanks!

2. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

Lockout hubs, No you don't. It's not bearing any load.They are held in by a lock ring,better have a pic or sharp screwdriver the ring is a little frustrating if you don't have the right tools.

3. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I struggled with the outer Cring for a while then I remebered how I used to do it. screwdriver under the edge and an angled pick to pull it out. Took a second. It kicked my arse for 20 minutes the 1st time.

4. bladwin

bladwin Registered Member Premium Member

Thanks for the replies. The C-ring was fine (pliers) buuuuut, one of my axle stubs is real sloppy and the locking nut can be moved with my fingernail. It almost feels like its missing a bearing... It's on the "uphill" side of my off-camber driveway. Normal???? I'm off to check chilton's...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  5. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

The axle will have some play.The lock nuts should not be loose.Time to check those bearings.Check the bearing on the inside of the spindle.If bad you can get a spindle bearing kit for around $12.00 Thats the only thing I can think that would cause excess slop of the stub unless the lock ring is gone,or you mean u-joint slop.