Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hub & Rotor Removal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by conv76jimmy, Sep 25, 2001.

1. conv76jimmy

conv76jimmy 1/2 ton status

I was trying to change my Rotors on my 81 Chevy Blazer with manual locking Hubs, I got as far as removing the Locking & Unlocking mechanism then after that I didn't know what to do. I am used to working on my 2wd so this looked alot different. So my question is what do i need to do to get the Hub off, After I removed it all I could see was a Gear and nothing else. Any help would be Greatly Appreciated!!!

2-wheel'n all the way!!!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You need a pair of snap ring pliers, and a spindle nut socket (about 15 bucks or so at the auto parts) There's a snap ring that holds the gear in place, once it's out, you can pull the gear, and you'll be looking right at the spindle nuts - from there on, it's pretty much the same as a 2wd, but bigger.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. conv76jimmy

Sorry to sound so dumb, But where would this snap ring be at. Is it right in front of the Gear?

2-wheel'n all the way!!!

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Yeah, usually caked with grease so you can't see it very well.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. conv76jimmy

Thanks!!!!

2-wheel'n all the way!!!

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yeah, there is a big lock ring and a little snap ring. I have found that a scribe works best for getting the large lock ring out. A pair of needle nose pliers will come in handy too.

"you know... the guy with the BAD A$$ spring perches!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>