Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hub socket part number? EDIT: check out post 11, need a bit more help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Sep 2, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I looked all around in O'Riley's today, and none of the hub sockets said they were for a 14ff. Does anybody have a part number for a 14ff hub socket? Are there many different styles, if so I guess I'll have to take a picture when I start tearing it down. I've read you can use a screw driver, but I would feel more comfortable with a hub socket.

I searched ALOT and could find no part number.

thanks,
    James

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Pretty sure it's the only six-prong one ... IIRC, you can use a Dana 60 socket.

I've got the OTC ... their #1929, if I can read through the grease right. (Note it's a 3/4" drive, but Sears has 1/2 to 3/4 adaptors for this very purpose :) )

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc1929.html

There's some specs there -- 2 5/8" OD -- which may help you match the ones on the shelf.

Did I mention you worry too much? :haha:

-- A

3. 78Suburban

Gee, that sounds familiar :rolleyes: :wink1:

thanks for the info buddy.. I'll try to pick one up soon.

4. 78Suburban

5. dremu

Well, I've near torn the tines off my cheap one for the front ... google for the OTC, see if you can find it cheaper, as I think I paid $30 or so to my door for this one... but it's SOLID, and the center tube is nice, pops itself right into the hub and stays there.

-- A

6. 78Suburban

Thanks for the heads up, I'll avoid the cheap one. See, all my worrying serves a purpose :D I learn what NOT to do before I jump into something :p:

7. dremu

Worst case you'd be out the ten or fifteen bucks for the cheapo tool ... but yeah, nothing like having good tools :D

-- A

8. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

78suburban, I bought the O'Rielly 6 prong socket today. It was marked on the package 3-4, 1ton hub socket (sorry my slash key doesn't work). $10.00 .I don't have the part number as the socket has already been borrowed.

9. stkcode

stkcode Registered Member

Autozone carries the rent-a-tool (but you can buy it as well). Part #OEM 27046, labeled "Spindle Nut 4WD 6 Lug" (China made), for $15 (cheap one obviously). It's basically a 3/8 drive, deep socket with 6 teeth on it for the nut. It does not have the guide in the middle, as the one pictured in the link posted earlier. The dealer recommended this socket when I inquired about it.

It looks like this:

http://chevy.off-road.com/chevy/data/articlestandard/chevy/472005/200819/ff-tool.jpg

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Here is mine... perfect fit, but not everyone has access to a CNC Mill either.

2006-07-14 004.jpg

11. 78Suburban

I'm gonna try to rent this.. I've got nothing to loose..

http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/wheel_axle/spindle_nut.htm

Also, I'm gonna try to cut my hardline somewhere along the axle on both sides of the diff, I'm gonna take the fitting that threads into the wheel cylinder off and put it down on the hardline where it has been cut, and flare out the brake line, then buy some short rubber brake lines made for the front of a truck with d44 axle, thread it into the fitting I've just flared on one side, and bolt it to the caliper on the other side... Am I thinking about this correctly??

I suppose I'll be renting this too.. but there are two different part numbers on the page. Which one would be correct?
    http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/tubing/flaring_tools.htm

12. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I have 3 hub sockets, 2 of which are for D60 and 14BFF respectively (the other is for the 1/2 ton stuff). Cant remeber which one went to which.

THey are KD tools I picked up from Napa a while back.

K-D 2770 (6 prong)
    and
    K-D 3246 (4 prong)