Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hub/Wheel Bearing Issues *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigredblzr, Feb 5, 2004.

1. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by bigredblzr

2. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Re: Hub/Wheel Bearing Issues

I have never seen a hub that looks like that in the seal area. I have rebuilt 30 D44's and have never come across anything like that. Is it possible that one hub is from a 10 bolt and the other a 44.I can't remember if they use a different inner seal. It almost looks like there is on old seal body in there??? Was the seal there and intact when you removed it? I couldn't tell for sure but it looks like there is lots of rust and contamination in the hub. I would suggest getting a new hub/rotor assembly for both sides, put in new races and bearings and seals and be done with it. BTW I like to use the exact specs on wheel bearing adjustment for each year as printed in the factory service manual, I have never had a problem with bearings using that procedure.

3. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I have never seen a hub that looks like that in the seal area. I have rebuilt 30 D44's and have never come across anything like that. Is it possible that one hub is from a 10 bolt and the other a 44.I can't remember if they use a different inner seal. It almost looks like there is on old seal body in there??? Was the seal there and intact when you removed it? I couldn't tell for sure but it looks like there is lots of rust and contamination in the hub. I would suggest getting a new hub/rotor assembly for both sides, put in new races and bearings and seals and be done with it. BTW I like to use the exact specs on wheel bearing adjustment for each year as printed in the factory service manual, I have never had a problem with bearings using that procedure.

4. bigredblzr

The old seal was in there on the PS, but on the DS it had desinigrated like the majority of the bearings. The insides of the hubs are rust free and well greased, I assure you. Some of the pics show both hubs with the new seals. On the PS hub, it looks like the seal would fit, but the DS hub isn't gonna fit. One of the pics also shows on the lip of the DS hub, the one that looks like it has been chewed up a little, there is a stamping that says "National". This is one reason I think the DS may be aftermarket or as 74Chev one may be a D44 hub though I thought that the 10bolt and the D44 outter were all interchangeable. I could go out and get all new hubs, but I am 90% positive that at least the PS is functionable and I think there may be a much easier solution; after all, I have been driving around on them for the last couple hundred miles. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

OK, that part that says National is the old inner seal. Pry it out of there. This may take some doing but I assure you it will come out. If your wheel bearing came loose and ae grinding I think that that hub is FUBAR though so get a new one. The races had to have spun didn't they?

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

there are 2 different seals for the early 70's D44's. one is smaller than the other. IIRC this goes along with the different inner bearings.

you may have a mis match set of hubs, which makes the stackup with the spindle interesting. youve been driving it for how long?

7. bigredblzr

Re: Hub/Wheel Bearing Issues *DELETED*

Post deleted by bigredblzr

8. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Glad I could help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bigredblzr

Ah, Crap I forgot how to delete a thread...can anyone help me out with deleting this?

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You can't delete an entire thread once someone has replied to it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Why do you want to delete it anyway? No need to do that after your question is answered. It's best to leave it so others can learn too /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif