Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hub's and vibration???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bklynlifted, Dec 29, 2002.

1. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

hub\'s and vibration???

ok so i lock my hubs and cruise around in 4wd in the mountains then when i hit the pavement i shift out of 4wd , keeping the hubs locked at 55 mph i start to get a vibration so i go and unlock the hubs and no more vibration??? so what do you guy's think. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif 88 jimmy with new warn premiums, 10 bolt up front

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Re: hub\'s and vibration???

when you leave the hubs locked in you are spinning the front driveline, when unlocked it will float but mostly remain still. the driveline slip yoke is probably worn and it is letting the shaft wobble at the highway speeds, grasp the front driveline in the middle of the shaft and push back and forth, the less movement the better, a lot of movement indicates a worn shaft. The real test for wear in the splines is to grasp the two sections of driveshaft with pliers, one pair on one section of the slider, the other pair on the other section of shaft, try twisting the two halves in opposite directions, the amount of movement shows the wear on the splines, it doesn't take very much movement to indicate a worn slip yoke, they tend to wear to a certain point and then fail when you need to use four wheel drive.If either test indicates a worn shaft it would be advisable to get it fixed now before it let's you down when you need it.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i can see how that could happen. U-joints are not balanced, nor do i thik shafts are. as well as how good are your ball joints? hubs and brake rotors are not balanced ethier. granted they are turned down so are close to balanced.
    Grant

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Its from the front driveline angles. With the style shaft in the front the pinion is supposed to be within 2 or 3 degrees of the shaft. when its not you get a vibration.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ok, im an idot and not thinking tonight... DUH. you are right, that as well.
    Grant