Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hubs are Hot is this normal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dayno, Sep 27, 2004.

1. dayno

dayno Registered Member

I test drove my 1977 K5 after puting the carrier back in and putting the hubs etc back together....the hubs seemed pretty warm when I was putting the dust covers back on with sealant after the test drive....Im thinking this is normal since they pick up heat from the disc brakes but wanted to check here about it....thanks in advance for any help....Dayne

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Is it a 14BFF? Did you put some gear oil in the hubs for the bearings to run in till the hubs fill from the center section?

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would guess he is talking about the front D44, the hubs should be farely warm from heat off of the rotors and the bearings inside generating some heat.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you have been using the brakes hard they will be hot. I normally check mine after driving on the hwy for a while. They are always cool except for the time that I had a bearing out. If you are using the brakes hard the can sometimes be too hot to touch.