Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hubs are locked.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by S10-4x4, Sep 18, 2000.

1. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

My Blazer is making a really strange sound in my wallet....its the sound of lots of cash flying out. Just happened to be under my Blazer looking at how to change my starter and grabbed the front shaft and it clunked instead of turning....my t case is locked or is the hubs that aren't working correctly? Yes...they are auto locking hubs...
    How badly have I gotten myself into this? and when does that sound stop?

SK-15

J**P...Its what's for dinner

http://s10-4x4.coloradok5.com

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Join the club we all at one time or another think when will it stop , but we just keep spending .Replace those hubs and keep enjoying what you have and possibilities you have to own one of GM's finest ( time for the violins and applause ) Sounded kind of sappy but true .I just got done spending a couple thousand but it still cheaper and better than a new one .

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Are your U-joints tight, is it turning in the differential? Raise your rig up and place all 4 corners on jack stands, put your T-case in neutral, grab your front driveshaft and twist it from side to side, see you will be able to tell if the slop is in the diff or the T-case, It will probably be in the diff and it is probably because the hubs arent locked in one direction or the other.
    A set of Warn Premiums are around $100 and you can install them yourself then put the best auto hub that you have left (after you clean and rebuild as best you can with the parts from the two hubs) into a 4x4 box in the back of your truck with a hub socket so if you bust a hub while on the trail you can repair and get home.
    [​IMG]
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

Since I just realized this how much damage have I done since the hubs were locked? And if its not the hubs...oh boy..T-case...I will have to hire some of you more experienced peoples to come and help me with that one? What would you like for payment? Beer? Hard liquier? A gallon of Fast Orange?
    Once I get my starter in...shoudl I get a reman or an orig? I have heard good and bad things about both.....

Thanks

SK-15

J**P...Its what's for dinner

http://s10-4x4.coloradok5.com

5. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I asked this before as well, someone told me, makes sense, but if you don't raise the front end up and then try and turn the driveshaft then the hubs will lock cause that is what they are supposed to do.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Since you have auto hubs, your tcase is probably still in 4WD. That's the problem with auto hubs, is that they don't disconnect that well. Here is what to do. Put the truck in 2hi. Then go under it and see if you can turn the front drive shaft. If you can, then you're good to go. If you can't, then it is still in 4WD. If its still in 4WD, you might have to reverse for like 20feet or something like that to get it out. Second, if it can turn, check your axle to see if it can turn freely. If it can't, then your hubs are still locked.
    Last advice is get WARN hubs and ditch your auto. You'll be whole lot happier.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If the truck is in 2wd and you turn the driveshaft, it will make the front auto hubs lock.
    The best thing to do is jack both front tires off the ground, with the truck in 2wd, and spin the tires by hand.....the tires should spin free and the drive shaft or front axle shafts should not turn.
    If everything looks okay doing this, then you know the hubs are unlocked.
    Next, spin the front driveshaft by hand. You should be able to feel the front atuo hubs lock in after about one revolution or so and the front tires should then start spinning also. If you can still spin the driveshaft with the front tires off the ground then that means the t-case is not engaged in 4wd, because if it was you would not be able to spin the front shaft because it would be directly linked to the rear shaft.

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

First, don't panic, your system may be working like it is supposed to. Don't tear anything apart until you know something is wrong.

6.2Blazer is right on the steps you need to take. I had a '74 3/4 P/U with the same system on it. If I am wrong about this I am sure someone will correct me, but I believe that in the 2H mode if you loose traction at any wheel all power will be directed to that wheel. In the 2H mode you can jack one wheel off the ground and unless you have locking diff, you are stuck, you can't move. In the 4H mode, doing the same thing, you could drive off the jack.

With the "Full time," system, it is the torque of the front axels that lock the hubs. Simply driving around with them locked(in the 2H mode), will not cause any damage. Depending on lubrication, dirt, etc. the locking mech can get sticky and not work properly. What you described does sound like your hubs were locked when you drove into the driveway, however, when you back out they are supposed to unlock. If they don't it may be as simple as cleaning and greasing the hubs.