Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hubs locked or NOT!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

i Heard some guys saying that you could run in 2wd with your hubs locked is this true? I thought it would break something, and when they started talkin about leaving one hub locked i thought they were crazy. I was wondering if you could run either one hub locker or both locked in 2wd or if it would break somwthing. Thanks for any help.

350/10Bolt/208/31"s
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifThanks agian, Marshall /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. Biguub91

Biguub91 Registered Member

i used to live in a city with ice and snow. I would often have to use four wheel drive and i would take it out of 4WD and forget to unlock the hubs. I never noticed any problems with running like that around the city or off-road. If your on the trail your gonna be running with your hubs locked in 2WD alot anyways. Unless you run in 4WD all the time on the trail which i dont think is wise. Ive heard it may hurt your car on pavement more though. Think about it this way your rear tires basically always have their hubs locked. However, if your front hubs are locked your front driveshaft is gonna be spinning and the part of your t-case is gonna be spinning that is connected to your front driveshaft. I dont know if this is bad or not but it is just an insight. I all comes back to the fact that your gonna be running on the trail like that alo. Unless, evertime you get stuck in mud you wanna get out and lock your hubs to put it in four wheel drive. It might matter on pavement although that is only hearsay to me. Sorry for the long message i couldnt think of a way to put it simpler.
    Thanks

3. GMtrucklover

GMtrucklover Registered Member

you can drive with your hubs locked in while in 2wd. But why would you want to, it would just give you worse gas mileage and wear on front axle parts more. And no you cant drive with one locked and one unlocked. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh, you can drive in 2wd w/ hubs locked. Things i notice are more noise (with driveshaft spining) and when you let off gas you seem to slow a bit more. I will run hubs locked on the way to going offroad to lube it all up, up front.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

when i had hubs on my half ton front (i have drive flanges on my dana 60 now) i would lock them in for the winter months and unlock them during summer months. it drinks a little more gas but other than that no biggie

6. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

For the last week I have left mine locked in cuz we keep expecting bad weather. Yes the gas milage sucks went from 8 down to not enough(put $35 since tuesday and I'm almost out now, I've only put 100+ miles on the truck) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

on my old 85, the steering was pretty f***ed up on it, and we drove around all the time with the hubs in and it gave it a tiny bit more control, but mostly it took the play and vibration out of the wheel, i don't know how long it would have lasted cause the truck blew up the day after the heater core was replaced by a garage /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Mine have been locked for the past 3 weeks. I used to leave them locked on my old Toyota all the time.

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Ya know it cant be that bad if ya have a part time xfer case....
    But why spin all that extra crap up front when it takes 30 seconds to get out and lock them in..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Most owners manuals will state that you need to drive 10-15 miles a month with the hubs locked or in 4wd if you have autolockers.

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Around here with the mountains it could be sunny here and snowing on the other side. If I have to make a long trip I would unlock them but I usually keep them locked for the winter. BTW this is actually on Donna's K5 daily driver, the 89 is actually parked for the winter.

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Both locked or both unlocked is okay. I hear /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif that having one locked and one unlocked is not good for long periods. It's ok if you have a locker and want to manuever, but that is a different scenario.
    I sometimes leave both hubs locked in 2WD when bad weather is expected. It does chew a little more gas and makes cornering a little wider when in 2WD, but when I hit a slick spot or conditions get worse, I just pull on the t-case lever for 4WD and don't have to stop, get out, and lock hubs (or unlock them if conditions get better, until I get home). It is also good to do it from time to time to lube the entire front end. There is no need to do it when weather and traction are going to be good as it adds wear and tare, and decreases gas mileage, but if you are expected poor conditions it won't "hurt" anything (unless something was already F'ed up).

13. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

on that heater core thing, always check what a shop does, they dont always put their "best" man on the job. at my work, some guys were working on a jeep wrangler with a 5 speed and they had to take out the transmission, and they thought they would take the trans shifter knob off, they broke off the knob along with the threaded part of the stick /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. all i did was laugh. because i was finishing up a job on fixing the air condioning one of the company vehicles. of corse i ended up looseing about 6 pounds of R-134a to the atmosphere because i didnt tighten up a seal right /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. but i tell you what nuthing like feeling air condition that you fixed, feels twice as nice if you fix it. but i run my hubs locked in 2wd when the weather gets really shitty out like lots of snow, because if i have to start out on a hill and im stuck with 1 tire spinning, i just push in the clutch and shift to 4hi and get going works nice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, yea you get more noise, and worse gas milage, but if you bought a full size chevy that should be the last thing on your mind. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Running in 2wd with the hubs locked will not hurt anything. You will get a little bit more drag from the frontend components turning and a tad bit more wear, but nothing that should really make any difference in the long run. A lot of newer vehicles don't even have locking hubs or any other type of front axle disconnect, which is just like running with the hubs locked while in 2wd. My last daily driver truck had locking hubs and I kept them locked in most of the winter, at least when there was snow on the ground. Around here the main streets may be clear and dry but side streets and parking lots stay snowy or icy for a long time.