Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hubs locked...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Apr 11, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Driving on the street with the hubs locked my truck has some weird characteristics... its kinda wabbly and shakey and theres a LOUD droning like road noise type noise that comes when the hubs are locked... what could be wrong?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I drove my dads F350 with the front hubs locked one time right after I had to get out of a nasty spot, and I hit the highway, and when I would get to 55+ MPH it would start to shack and wobble a little, and turn a little funny. If you are wobbling at slow speeds then something like the ball joints might be worn, or tie ord ends or something. I couldn't tell you for sure. Just a guess. Do you have a front locker or posi? If so that might have something to do with it.

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

um... dont drive with your hubs locked on the road then???

4. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

When you drive with your hubs locked, it's turning your axleshafts and ring & pinion and therefore turning your front driveshaft. So.. if your front driveshaft is at too much of an angle or out-of-balance then that could be the vibration you're feeling.

Will

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Check your front driveshaft. The slip joint was bad on mine when I got it and the whole shaft moved up and down about a half inch, bending at the middle. Don't know if the 208 has a slip joint front shaft, but check the shaft in general.