Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hubs won't lock

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djm, Mar 19, 2000.

1. djm

djm Registered Member

Hubs won\'t lock

Hi, I just bought an 85 Surbuban 2500 Sierra Classic for $1000. Besides
    a godawful amount of rust it's in good shape. Sorry for posting non Blazer
    stuff but my question is about 4wd systems. The 4WD system does
    not work, I think it's the hubs. I'm pretty sure the transfer case
    is OK, in 4WD the front driveshaft does turn. I turned the hubs but
    they don't lock, any ideas on what could be wrong? Any advice is greatly
    appreciated, this is my first 4WD truck and I'm anxious to get it
    working. I'm hoping it won't cost me too much cash to get the 4wd working.
    Thanks
    Dan

2. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: Hubs won\'t lock

Might just need cleaning and light lube. Wheel bearings could probably stand checking and re-packing as well. The locking hub is just under the cap, if you service the bearings you'll need a spanner socket. Any good parts store should have one for $10-12.
    Good luck
    John

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It sounds like the hubs need taken apart and cleaned up . There is not much to them . Once you have them off you might discover some other problems , such as the axle might be broke ?

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.

IN all honesty, if you hubs don't work, I'd just suggest replacing them. Plus, if they aren't working and are after market, (Manufacture Plug) I'd bet they are not warn hubs. If they are autos, or stock GM's, look to warn anyway. http://www.summitracing.com sells them for aprox. $50. A small investment for a quality set of hubs. Also, if it was a axle shaft, you would hear grinding when in fourwheel drive. If the hubs were removed, you wouldn't have the U-joints near the front spindle. If there aren't any axles, than the front axle is empty and you are looking to invsest some money.

You said that the front shaft spins when in 4x4. A few things you can check. Jack up both front tires, lock the hubs, and spin a tire. Have a friend hold the other tire, and if it doesn't spin, everything should be in working order up front. If it does spin, listen for noise. If you want to make sure its not the T-case, remove the rear shaft (if you have a 208, its gonna make a mess, bring extra atf and some oil absorb) and put it in 4x4, lock the hubs, and see if it moves. If it doesn't, and you already checked the front hubs as I described before, your t-case is the problem. You could also be missing parts in the front axle. Quite a few items to check, but ther is only one way to figure it out. Ya gotta get dirty.

By the way, where are you located?

Corey
    88K5
    (Goldsboro, NC)

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. djm

djm Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies, this board is a great place to get some help. I'm located in Pt. Pleasant, NJ. I'm not too
    familiar with 4WD systems although I used to be able to break down and correctly assemble hubs when I worked in a service center awhile ago. I would think my hubs are manual since I have to lock them physically and engage the transfer case from inside the truck. Tonight, I'm dropping the truck off at a local shop for misc. repairs. I'll ask them to check the hubs with the various tests or by actually disassembling them. I don't mind getting dirty, but It's gotta go in for some stuff anyway, so.... if it turns out to be more expensive than just hubs, the repair won't be made for awhile. But once the Blues and Stripers are running off the beach this summer, you can bet your ass I'll be parked on the beach!! :)

On that note, it it OK to go on the beach with OE size tires? Do I really need to reduce the pressure to 20lbs or so?
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Dan

6. djm

djm Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies, this board is a great place to get some help. I'm located in Pt. Pleasant, NJ. I'm not too
    familiar with 4WD systems although I used to be able to break down and correctly assemble hubs when I worked in a service center awhile ago. I would think my hubs are manual since I have to lock them physically and engage the transfer case from inside the truck. Tonight, I'm dropping the truck off at a local shop for misc. repairs. I'll ask them to check the hubs with the various tests or by actually disassembling them. I don't mind getting dirty, but It's gotta go in for some stuff anyway, so.... if it turns out to be more expensive than just hubs, the repair won't be made for awhile. But once the Blues and Stripers are running off the beach this summer, you can bet your ass I'll be parked on the beach!! :)

On that note, it it OK to go on the beach with OE size tires? Do I really need to reduce the pressure to 20lbs or so?
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Dan