Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hubs won't stay locked.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84mudmachine, Jan 6, 2005.

1. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

My front hubs want to unlock when I go in reverse. They are the stock auto hubs, any ideas to what causes this?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Time to swap to manual hubs. Trust me...... Autos start doing this after a while or will disengage when you need them on the trail....

Go get yourself some Warn Premiums.. :thumb:

3. 84mudmachine

Qeustion

Manual sound good to me, are they an easy swap?

4. 84mudmachine

Milemarker

How are the milemarker hubs. I read a comparison between warn the milemarker, and they both seem to be well made.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I agree you need to get new hubs , because the stock ones always fail . The unlocking is normal though when not in 4wd . I believe the original procedure when done wheeling is to put the truck in 2wd and drive backwards 10 feet to make sure its unlocked :k5: :k5:

I reccomend lifetime warranty premium Warns :D

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have had both MM and Warn. The bad thing is I didn't have the MM's very long and sold the truck so I cant give you good info on them...

But I have had a few sets of the Warn Prems and no problem.

7. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

once my Superwinch manuals give, i'll be switchin to Warn Prem's also! didn't have the loot for them at the time my autos blew out....And yes..very easy to install...1/4 or 1/8'th allen wrench and some needle nose to remove the snap ring and about 45 mins of your time...and ur done!

8. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I'll have to go against the grain and not recomend the Warn "Premium" hubs...

I've run the standard $60.00 Warn hubs for years on many different trucks and have been happy with them. When I rebuilt/geared my front axle I decided to spring for the "premium" hubs. I found that the only part of the premium hubs that is any stronger than their standard hub is the dial. I've also found that the standard hubs seal out water and mud better than the premium hubs. The design of the premium hubs is such that when the hub is in the "lock" position the seating force of the dial against the O-ring is reduced considerably, letting water leak around the dial. I also think the engagment spring on the standar hub is better than the premium.

I've gone back to running the standard Warn hubs and have been happy:)