Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JJ85K5, Feb 14, 2002.

1. JJ85K5

JJ85K5 Registered Member

a lot of people are telling me to take off my auto locking hubs and put on some manual ones. why is this? if i do put manual ones on, is there instructions with the kit?

thanks for all the help so far. the people that have replied have been helpful.

JJ85K5

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

There are many posts on this site about manual vs. auto hubs. Do a search and you will find a plethora of info. The general consensus is to ditch the auto for manual, and I would agree. Then there is the debate of which manual.

The kits are relatively inexpensive. They also have adequate instructions included. Typically it is about a 10-15 minute job per hub.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Auto hubs are known not to be too reliable. If you have manual hubs, at least you WILL know when it is locked and unlocked.

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Instructions are included with the Warn Premium hubs. That's what I'm running.

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda> Miscellaneous Debris </a>

5. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I blew one auto hub up and changed to manual hubs. Didn't know how to do it either 10 min a side max after that you are doing some wrong

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

6. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Auto hubs are ok but manuals are stronger. If you haven't ever had an issue with your autos then theres no real reason to buy new manuals. I ran autos on my 10 bolt and they outlasted all the bearings and balljoints.

1986 GMC Jimmy 6" springs 3" body, 38/15.5/15 Swampers, 14-bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, 1991 front-end.