Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

well i don't normally bash products, but, i bought some locking hubs about 3 yrs ago nice chrome ones with the initials MM embossed on them. they were around $60 u.s. and i noticed while reading the installation instructions that the warranty on the finish was just for one yr. no problem they'll look good for ten i figured. ahhhh NO! most of the chrome has peeled off and left me with some real cheesy looking white metal. should have spent the extra couple of $'s and got the WARN's. live and learn thought i'd pass that along good products keep us coming back

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Congratulations, You've got the rocking MileMarker Hubs, kinda like the set I used to have. Same thing happened to mine after about a year then one of them completly shelled out. Parts everywhere. Not to mention that with all those damn snap rings, they were a pain to change.

Go ahead and bite the bullet and get the warns now, you'll thank youself later.

Kyle
    89K5

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

4. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Milemarker makes a stainless steel version of there hub to perform in wet environments. I made a statement about these hubs on another post, and I stated that the internals of the Warn hubs and Milemarker are the same. You will get the same performance as a Warn hub, but maybe not the same finish.

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Come on guys, don't bash everything you see with an "MM" on it. I had the stainless premium (yes, those other premium ones) ones on a dana 44 and they are the simplest deisgn and the finish didn't even change despite 3 years of salt, snow, etc.

You didn't give an application here, but for a D60, you can't beat the OEM spicer hubs. Superwinch also makes nice hubs.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm just talking from experience. The MM hubs I had were trash when I got them, and I bought them NEW. They didn't last long at all, and they were the premiums. They really IMO are NOT the simplest design. The OEM Spicer hub is simplicity in it's greatest form. The superwinch hubs also don't have a good track record with me, although install was 10 times easier than the MM, I've wasted far more of them.

Kyle
    89K5

7. realsquash

They were trash when you bought them? Why'd you buy 'em then? And how is the install any different than any other? Just stick the gears in, install the large snap ring, and put the outer hub on with the allen-head screws. how is that any different than the Spicer or superwinch or warn?

And like I said, there are 2 premiums, one is chrome and the other is stainless. My stainless ones were fine.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I had a "reputable" shop install my first set. This was before I realized how easy it was to do on my own. They started giving me flack less than a month after they were put on. MM said that it was the shops fault and the shop said it must have been something I did. When I took them off, there was more than just 1 snap ring I had to remove to get them off. The others are like you said, one snap ring. At least superwinch accepted that I had bad Hubs. Right now I'm running a Superwinch on one side and a MM on the other. Still don't like either one, and I'm not that hard on them.

I probably got the chrome version. That would explain the finish pealing off. I've heard lots of good things about MM prodcts, and maybe I got a bad set, but I wasn't impressed with their customer service or the hubs. This is my experience, and I won't use their stuff again, but I'm sure others, like you, have had good luck with them, just not me.

Kyle
    89K5

9. realsquash

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

This is what I'm saying. I finally found someone I trust to do gears, and that's the ONLY thing I'll farm out anymore. The "reputable" shop that I was talking about screwed me 3 times on my truck, the last involved failure to put the nuts back on the bolts of some the steering. When I saw it, after a 25 mile drive home, I called them and they told me to drive it back up there and they would fix it. When I said NO, they said they would send a wrecker and I could pick it up in the morning. Again, I said NO, I made them come out to my house and finish the job right at no extra charge. From now on, NOBODY touches my truck but me. The only exception that I make is gears and wiring. I've got good shops that I trust for both of those. I guess I've learned my lesson, but not until after I paid for it. Guess after the first time or two I'd learn, but I may be a slow learner. Not much on taking Bessie to anyone now.

Kyle
    89K5

11. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

It's interesting to here all of your comments. I'm actually comparing Warn Premiums against MM Supreme Stainless hubs for a Dana 60 this August. The MM hubs I got are not chromed but instead a Stainless steel. Warn caps look to be alloy which has been chromed. I always thought the Warns had a solid brass dial but it looks to be fake. THe Warns are sealed better from water.

*Warn Advantages
    Doubled sealed at the dial
    Screws use rubber o-rings
    Easier to engage (full turn)

*MM Advantages
    Stainless dial
    Stainless cap
    Ductile iron body
    Larger cap screws

*Warn Disadvantages
    Dial has lower grade metal
    Aluminum body