Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HUBS???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MTBLAZER89, Aug 21, 2002.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have an 89 Blazer with the shi%$Y stock hubs. What do I need besides the hubs to upgrade? Help they are making funny noises................. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You must be talking about the automatic hubs, all you need is a good set of manual hubs such as warn's. No more parts other than that.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

What he said.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you have automatic hubs, by all means UPGRADE! The stock manual ones are better than people give them credit for. I recomend Warn Premiums.

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

well after 2.5 months, im back! i had 1500+ unread in this forum alone, i had no time over the summer to read em!
    but anyways back to the topic, everyone has their own opinion in hubs to get, but i suggest warn premiums

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you don't beat the truck hard, I'd say just go get a used set of the stock Spicer manual hubs from another K5 or K10.

I've heard the stock manual hubs might be stronger than the aftermarket ones as well, (due to material) but I don't know for certain. Doesn't really matter if you just need to replace bad auto hubs on a stock truck, as the auto hubs do, invariably, fail, even if you are "easy" on them.

Stock manual hubs are a "drop in" replacement for atuo ones, at least until about '86 or so. I *could* see later year trucks maybe not having the grooves cut in the axle for the retaining clips if auto hubs were the only choice in later years, but I haven't messed with any axles newer than '86 yet, so I can't be certain, but I'd hate for you to find out stock manual hubs aren't a drop in replacement.

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I did it a few months ago on my 90 K5 and I did in about 4 hrs with just the Warn instructions
    (and no idea what I was doing). The only tool I didn't have in my box at the time was retaining clip
    pliers. Other than that, you only need needle-nose (which just makes it easier), the hex key for the bolts,
    and some grease for the new hubs.

I snapped some pics but they didn't come out well. Post back on here or feel free to email me with any
    questions.

BTW, I picked mine up mine on eBay for less than $100 shipped.