Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Oct 5, 2003.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

what are the significant pros and cons of manual hubs vs auto locking hubs? what needs to be done to change from one to the other. thanks...

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

auto hubs are not as predictable as manual hubs, with manual hubs you know whether its locked or unlocked...ive seen auto hubs, on fords that broke when someone was hammered down in 4wd trying to get out of some mud...buy the manual hubs, remove the auto hubs and install the manuals, most hubs come with instructions..and i think you can find a writeup here somewhere... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've had both on 2 different front 10bolts. The automatics worked ok on one axle and stayed locked in on my second axle. I didn't like them because for one they gave me doubt if they were locked in when I need all 4 wheels turning and they are kind of weak. They are very expensive for new ones from GM and wear out suprisingly fast. I have changed both sets out for Warn standards and they work great, trouble free and are strong. But most of all you know if your locked in or not!

Oh, yeah manuals are nice for when you need some gear reduction but not 4 wheel drive for say pulling a trailer on a steep grade or pulling things on asphalt because you can still pop'er in 4lo and not have the fronts pulling which is easier on tires, u-joints, ball joints on hard surfaces. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif sorry for the ramble, just listing reasons why I like my manuals. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've had both on 2 different front 10bolts. The automatics worked ok on one axle and stayed locked in on my second axle. I didn't like them because for one they gave me doubt if they were locked in when I need all 4 wheels turning and they are kind of weak. They are very expensive for new ones from GM and wear out suprisingly fast. I have changed both sets out for Warn standards and they work great, trouble free and are strong. But most of all you know if your locked in or not!

Oh, yeah manuals are nice for when you need some gear reduction but not 4 wheel drive for say pulling a trailer on a steep grade or pulling things on asphalt because you can still pop'er in 4lo and not have the fronts pulling which is easier on tires, u-joints, ball joints on hard surfaces. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif sorry for the ramble, just listing reasons why I like my manuals. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Its not a matter of if the auto hubs will give you trouble but when.
    When they start going bad the will work when you dont want them to. Like going down the freeway at 65 mph.
    And not lock in when you really need them. They make all kinds of noise too. Clicks, bangs and grinds sounds like you are loosing your drive train. some times one will lock up for no reason and the other wont.
    Its not worth it to rebuild them. You can get a set of manuals for a lot less than the rebuild kit. If you can even the kit them anymore.
    Well thats about all the good stuff I can say about auto hubs.
    As far as manuals hubs go You can get a set of Warn Preimun or Superwinch hubs for around 60- 80 bucks. The only con I can think is you have to get outside to lock them in. But that usually gives you a chance to strech your legs and take a leak /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    They aren't very hard to install.Just take the autos off and put the manuals on. A few screws and some snap rings is all that holds them on. I would recomend also packing the front wheel bearings if you do install a set. While everythings almost apart.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as manuals hubs go You can get a set of Warn Preimun or Superwinch hubs for around 60- 80 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Warn Premiums for a D60 are 60-80? you work at Warn or something? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The posters profile says "Stock drive train" thats what I was going on.
    I didn't think that there were very many D-60s with auto hubs around. Didn't they only make then for a few years in the late 80s for GMs? Most I have seen are either manual or fulltime.

8. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

My '84 k30 had autos on them from the factory with the D60.
    Gone in no time and replaced with warn premiums for a little under $200. Ouch.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The posters profile says "Stock drive train" thats what I was going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, his post was a little confusing... cause it also says...

[ QUOTE ]
    d60/14 bolt in hand and under way...

[/ QUOTE ]

so i was kinda going /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif when u said $60-80. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Didn't they only make then for a few years in the late 80s for GMs? Most I have seen are either manual or fulltime.

[/ QUOTE ]

My '85/86 parts manual lists the D60 with the auto hubs (slightly different t-case as well) but only for one year. I think it was '85 only (in this parts manual), as I recall thinking at the time "huh, GM musta figured out these things were garbage, and had no place on a REAL truck." /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh, BTW, I'm one of the ones whose auto hubs failed him when I needed them. Cleaned them out, exercised them, still failed, with no excuse.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    GM musta figured out these things were garbage, and had no place on a REAL truck."

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I wish I could get a set of hubs for D60 for 80 bones.......... Well on second thought maby thats not such a good idea. They would probabally be made out of plastic /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif