Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Huff N' Puff

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rd durham, May 3, 2005.

1. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

I readily admit to a certain amount of ignorance with diesels so I'm asking for some insight to this problem.

This past weekend I helped my younger sister swap in a low miles diesel from a CUCV into her 1984 diesel Blazer. We bleed out the fuel lines to each injector and got it started. It initially ran OK with a small miss and a little gray/white smoke but we noticed that the mechanical fuel/lift pump was leaking from a torn diaphragm. Swapped out the fuel pump for the used one from her old engine. Bleed things out again and now it sits and huffs & puffs out gray/white smoke. If it was a gas engine I'd say a spark plug wire was missing. If you hit the accelerator it blows out a large cloud of gray/white smoke. Back of the truck disappears in the smoke and tailgaters back off a few miles. The engine was pulled from a running CUCV with about 1500 miles, but set for two years in storage. My brother-in-law pulled the engine at a job in Arkansas and said it ran with no smoke.

From what I've learned on this site I am guessing unburned diesel fuel is the cause of the gray/white smoke, but is it possibly a sticking injector or some other culprit.

2. crawlnjeep

crawlnjeep Registered Member

You may have air in some of the high pressure injection lines. I usually get them bled out by cracking the line loose by the injector, then cranking the engine over until I see fuel coming out (unplug the fuel shutoff wire from the injector pump before cranking the engine over). I'm not sure if this is the best way, its just what has worked for me.