Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hug your kids...Updated 9/17

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by alec78, Sep 10, 2004.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I don't really want to get into the details...at least right now, but everyone with kids please give them a hug and tell them you love them!

Those with kids on the way or babies, if you have a "bouncy seat" with a three point harness (like the one below) CHUCK IT and buy one with a five point harness! I hate to say it but there is only one I know of and it is about $75, but it is worth every penny (again I don't want to get into the details...)

[​IMG]

<font color="red"> UPDATE:
    5 point seat details in my new post </font>

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: hug your kids...

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hope all is ok.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

posts like this make me concerned. I hope everything is ok as well.If not, spill the beans, its ok,i do it all the time on here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah this sounds like something serious... if something happpened, maybe contact the people that made it and have a talk with them?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I got a kid due any day now, we have a bouncy seat like that but I don't know what the harness is like on it. I'll have to look when I get home. I hope that everything is OK and it's not as bad as I'm thinking it is...

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifIf you have valuable information that could protect a young one then you should share the information.
    Do it for the children /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah Brother lets hear it.

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

We used the 3 point style with both of our girls without any problems (apparently we were lucky /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ). Actually, I was unaware that anyone even offered a 5 point style.

I realize details could be difficult to discuss but we need more info please. Like stated, we need to know for the kids sake. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also, for the same reasons please post any info you have on the 5 point style that may help others find it (brand, stores, etc).

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

my neice is almost 3 months old and she loves hers. hers is only a 3 point, which is all I knew of. Please give us ideas of where the 5 points are.

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have a 7 month old, we used one like that for the first 3 months +/- and had no problems. As soon as they can sit up and control their neck/head though, you gotta get them out of those things, they can flop over the sides real easy.

What's the deal on this? My best friend has a 2 month old and we gave him our 3 pt. seat, tell us what you mean.

12. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Ok here's the story...and yes this has been with us for sometime now. Sorry for dragging anyone down...

On May 13 my brother called me, which is totally normal, but he was freaking out. He got a message from our mom that his daughter Emma(4 months old) was taker to the ER. He was on his way and needed help calming down.

Long story short she died. The cause of death was "positional asphyxiation". She had leaned forward in a bouncy seat just like the pic I posted and was not able to lean back. The medical examiner stated in his report that it was a design failure. IF the "seat belt" had been of a five point design (just like racing belts) this would never had happened. It would heve kept her from leaning forward.

Since this happened, they found that there is only one seat made with a five point belt, but it is something like $70ish. They also found out this is not a lone incident.

I don't know the details of the better seat but I am trying to get them. Kinda hard because a)just makes me want to cry everytime I talk to them about it (if you think you wouldn't cry then you are not human) and b)I currently am working nights. I'll post the info (hopefully a pic too) when I get it.

PS
    Hug your kids!!! I have three and it just kills me to go to work now. I've gone so far as to take them to my welding classes at night just to spend more time with them (they stay in the truck with their mom). I know I'm going overboard but this was a nasty wake-up call for me. The time is too precious. I also don't ever want either them or me to look back and wonder if...

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Sorry about your neice /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll keep this story in mind when I have kids of my own, and hopefully this doesn't happen again to anyone... Thanks for the warning /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Your family is our prayers.

I cannot imagine the grief and loss.

I appreciate the difficulty of posting this, and will tell my wife who will pray for your family, and tell all her friends about this tragedy and how to prevent it.

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I am truly sorry for the loss of your niece. There is nothing anyone can do or say to make it easier. Please let your family know many prayers will be said. Again, I am so sorry this happened.

16. 502

502 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry to hear of your family's tragic loss...my heartfelt sympathy goes to you and your family.

To those reading this post and interested in a possible alternative to a 3-point, I ran across a pretty nice looking child seat on the Simpson website. It's a bit pricey, but appears to be top quality.
    (edit)I guess its not a bouncy seat...I assume bouncy seats are for indoors. I'm not to experienced with infants.

5-point Child Seat /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like if I lost one of my kids. Please, please pass on our thoughts and prayers to your family.

18. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

OMG... I'm truly sorry for your family's tragic loss. I was afraid there was an outcome like this behind your post. So sorry, our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i am going to show this to mu sister her baby loves his, and mine will be here in jan, so i am going to remember that one.

i guess well hear something about this soon if it has not been a lone insadent then /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

20. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

MY FAMILY'S PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND YOURS, I KNOW IT'S TOUGH TO DEAL WITH STUFF LIKE THIS, good on ya! remember, everything happens for a reason. the baby's in a far better place. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif