Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

huge bigblocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by original balzer, Jan 26, 2006.

1. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

has anyone done one? if so did you keep it mild enough for street how about a 572 with only 500hp? or even less just a touque monster hader to stop big things so wouldnt it be harder to stall a huge CID big block?

balzer

2. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i think brandon c would be the wiz with this

3. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

the bigger it is the lower the rpm will be when it starts making power. unless it's an all out race motor that is. i.e sbc making 280ft/lbs @ 3000 rpm as opposed to a big-block that's making that at say 1800 rpm.

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run a 540" Merlin Big Block:pimp: Its just like driving down the road with a normal engine...........................untill you romp on it. I can smoke my 44" boggers all the way down the street (too expensive to do so though)Whats nice about larger cubic inch motors is you can run lower compression and still make big power compared to a small block that you have to build up to get major power from................a 572 should still put out at least 500 + ponies with 9 to 1 compression.....you can run it on pump gas

5. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Camshaft/Intake/Head matching is very important for the powerband as well. There are a number of people out there running 496+cc engines that have nearly a flat torque curve off idle through 3-4K.

6. original balzer

say you drive like an old lady with your 540 merlin..........
    your getting around 10-12mpg RIGHT? please say yes so i can justify a huge engine ha ha.

balzer

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i built my 514 cadillac, but its not tuned in or something yet, its making less power than it should. The torque is there, but power is low though. Its very streetable. My compression is only at 8.5 though. If i had unlimited funds, i'd stroke this and probably put a blower on it

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd love to hear the answer to this one too...... :deal:

9. mudjunkie 82

First of all if you are worried about gas milage you don't run a bigblock. I have yet to see an old lady out muddbogging so I don't know how one drives:surepal: :surepal:

10. original balzer

well if we all was denis anderson we could run 1"feul lines and 1500+hp but i like to drive to where i play and between my house and moab there isnt 15 gas stations i agree if your worried too much about gas milage dont run a big block but with feul costs these days still hovering at $2.50 a gallon yes im gunna wanna know about how much to expect to pay to play . a huge feul bill also cuts in to my modification budget. i just dont want bad enough gas milage i have to buy a tow rig and a trailer just so i can afford to go play once a year rather than any given weekend.

balzer

11. mudjunkie 82

Yeah, I hear you, cost me about 75.00 for a day of playing. Thats my luck, I built this and the damn gas prices skyrocketed..........:confused:

12. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

try this on for size. 708cid aluminum block aluminum heads 800hp @ 3000rpm

http://www.allstarengine.com/

Specifications
    Bore & Stroke: 4.750" Bore x 5.00" Stroke
    Fuel Type: 92 Octane (Unleaded)
    Configuration: 90° V8
    Displacment: 708.82 Cubic Inches
    Induction System: Sequential Fuel Injection
    Ignition System: Crank Trigger / Coil Pack
    Lubrication System: Dry or Wet Sump / Thermostatically Controlled / External Oil Pump / Remote Oil Filters / Remote Oil Cooler
    Crankshaft: Fully Counterweighted 4340 Billet.
    Block: Virgin A356 Aluminum / 5.400" Bore Centers / 12.125" Deck Height
    Main Caps: 3" Main Diameter / 1.325" Wide,Cross Bolted with 1/2" Bolts and 9/16" Main Studs .
    Connecting Rods: Forged I Beam, 4340 Steel / ARP Rod Bolts.

Pistons: Forged Aluminum / 1.094" Pin Dia./ Pin Buttons / 5/64 x 5/64 x 3/16 Ring Lands.
    Cylinder Heads: Virgin A356 Aluminum / Steel Seats / 454 Chevy Exhaust Flange Pattern / 6 Head Studs Per Cylinder.
    Rocker Arm Assembly: Shaft Mount Aluminum Billet Rocker Arm Bodys / 2.0 to 1 Rocker Ratio / 7/16 Dia. Adjusting Screws / Oil Pressureized Bearings.
    Camshaft: 8620 Steel Billet / 2.250 Torrington Roller Bearings / 1.400 Dia. Base Circle / Hydraulic Roller Tappet.
    Camshaft Drive: 50 mm Belt Drive / Cam Retaining Plate / 6 Bearing Journals.
    Valves: 2.400" Dia Stainless Intake Valve / 2.000" Inconel Exhaust Valve / 11/32 Stem Dia.
    Valve Springs: 1.800 O.D. / 2.250 Installed Height / Titanium Spring Retainers / 10° Valve Locks. Spray Bar Cooled
    Oil Capacity: 5 Gallons with Dry Sump / 14 Quarts with Wet Sump.
    Starter: Single or Dual 3.9 HP Gear Reduction Side Mount / "Coast Guard Approved"
    See detailed starter information
    Cooling System: Self Contained / Fully Enclosed Heat Exchanger / 195° Thermostatically Controlled System.

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

TRUE.

But, since I'm already used to getting 7mpg in both my 396BBC and my hard working 350SBC (when towing).....knowing that a stronger motor could loaf along at low rpms and still at least match my current mileage would be a huge plus....

There is something to be said for building a motor that can build power effortlessly (and can therefore be run with only a small amount of throttle) vs. and engine like my 350, which needs a lot more throttle (ie FUEL) to get the job done. I suspect there are some surprising results when you compare fuel economies between engines like that.....and I don't think that the small block always gets the better MPG numbers. :thinking:

14. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i am finishing up a 547 caddy stroker for my rig. after going to a bbc (468) in my street truck, i decided to go as big as i could afford w/ the cady engine. the low end should be amazing