Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Huge frame crack

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DaneW, Jan 23, 2003.

1. DaneW

DaneW Registered Member

My K-10 has develped a frame crack, well I guess It's not a crack any more it more like a gaping hole. I usually inspect the frame in the area of the steering box because I know that cracking in this area is a very commom problem on older chevys with large tires. Well I inpect that area when I do the oil change and I didn't get around to doing it last month because I was lazy and it was cold. Now I have a huge crack. If it wern't for the brace from my bumper I would have porbably ended up in a ditch somewhere. My questions is this, Is there a way of fixing this? Could I have it towed to a welder, or maybe a bodyshop would be a better bet? And how much should I expect to pay for something like this.

Thanks in advance, you guys rock! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I just repaired mine last moneth, and it is a time consuming job...for how much a welder or body shop would want to charge you to fix that you could probably buy a welder and scrap metal and teach yourself how to weld so you can fix it. There is a write up somewhere on here that will tell you how to do it

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Temporarily, you could remove the box, bring he crack together and have it welded up.. but its just going to come back. The hair line cracks would need to be grooved and welded up as well. ORD sells a weld in frame repair kit as a permanent repair as well as a brace to prevent this from happening again. Thats the route I'd recommend.. Unfortunately, I haven't taken my own advice and have been re-welding mine back together about once a month. I'm trying to buy time for my full tube chassis, and not bother with sinking cash into a frame I'm not keeping.

4. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

I just went through the same exact thing about two weeks ago. Buy the kit from ORD. If you are capable of removing the steering box, bumper bracket, and anything else obstructing access to that area of the frame (in other words, just wrench work), you can hire a mobile welder to come out to your house and weld the repair plates to the frame for you.

Farming out that little bit of welding is way, way cheaper than having some shop do the whole job. Your telephone book will have many listings of welders who haul all of their equipment around in the back of a truck and work by the hour. Expect to pay about $25-75 for the 20-30 minutes of work depending on where you live and what type of deal you can strike.

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

a friend of mine just fixed the same problem. he took a 5/8" inch thick piece of diamond plate about 4x5" over the crack and welded the crack to the metal from the inside of the frame, and the welded the rest from the outside of the frame, it looks an feels PLENTY strong. maybe not. looks ok to me.

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt just weld it without bracing it too. Welding causes the metal around the weld to weaken due to the heat effected to it and it will actually crack right next to the weld and do so much sooner. The ORD kits are your best fix IMHO.

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i think he used a MIG welder- lot better for the metal, i believe.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

9. DaneW

DaneW Registered Member

Ok I've taken all your responses into consideration, I have another question. The Ord Weld in brace will that be strong enough to hold up in the future? Or would it be a better idea to just let a welder go crazy with braces and gussets and such. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Also the triangulation brace from ORD is deffinatly going to be installed. Thanks for the help guys

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Once you have properly welded the brackets from the weld-in kit in place and added the bolt-in triangulation brace, you'd have to beat the truck pretty hard to break the frame there again. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. Tice

Tice Registered Member

I put my weld on kit about 2 and a half years ago and about a year ago i found another crack. so i decided to ground off the welds and do it over and noticed thatsome of the welds had cracked too. The instructions that came with the kit said to weld one and a half inch welds every one and a half inches. so after fixing the new crack(by drilling stop holes to preventing it from cracking agian) I welded the kit on all the way around. but do a little at a time so that you dont warp the frame. i also made the brace and haven't had a problem since. Hope this little tid bit helps. Tice /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif