Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

huge use of coolant in gm 6.5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LIBBOR, May 13, 2005.

1. LIBBOR

LIBBOR Newbie

hello, my name is Darren
    this is my first post

I have a gm 6.5l turbo engine over hear in australia that is fitted to a toyota landcruiser

it blew the top hose clean off. it obviously had some major headgasket problems.
    we have replaced the headgaskets which has alleviated the problem with excessive buidup of pressure in the cooling system.

We have a problem now with a cronic use of coolant. approximatly 2litres in 60klms.

i have pressure tested the cooling system and it appears to loose no pressure

there is no pressure build up at all in the system and there is no white smoke however the crankcase is chock-a-block with water.
    i have removed the heads and had them crack tested with no result.

through reading on the net it appears that these engine have a problem with cracking.
    is anybody able to tell me if the problems i am having are consistent with a cracked block? also where do the cracks form as i have had a look around the top and cant see any cracks.

many thanks

Darren Goff

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Did you use new head bolts? The 6.2 and 6.5 use TTY (torque to yield)head bolts so you should use new bolts when doing the head gaskets.

Rene

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

What year was the donor motor?
    Some were more likely to crack the block than others. If it is easy enough pull the oil pan and look for cracks at the main bearing webs. They would start in line with the main bearing cap bolts and go up. Sometimes they go all the way up to the cam journals.

From what I was told Delco doesn't even re-use old blocks when they rebuild motors. Re-mans are sold with new AM blocks and refurbished internals for quite a bit less than a new GM longblock. They are also available in shortblock versions.

4. LIBBOR

LIBBOR Newbie

Thanks Dan

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Have you found anything out yet?