Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hum-vee questions, considering purchace

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, May 28, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i have been presented an oppertunity to buy an ex military hum-vee for $6000 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. its "drivable". i dont know a lot about it other than that. what should i look for when i go to check it out? any millitary guys know what commonly wears out? also, any ideas on what kind of fuel economy they get? and how they work as tow vehicles? if this works out it will be my daily driver/tow rig to pull my real off road vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

From what I've read, there is NO such thing as buying ex-Military HumVees!!

It's not like the old days of surplus Army Jeeps. I've even heard that the decommissioned ones have to be "cut up" into pieces and destroyed to prevent them from ever showing up as civilian vehicles..... Hmmmm? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    From what I've read, there is NO such thing as buying ex-Military HumVees!!

It's not like the old days of surplus Army Jeeps. I've even heard that the decommissioned ones have to be "cut up" into pieces and destroyed to prevent them from ever showing up as civilian vehicles..... Hmmmm? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, Petersen's 4 Wheel Drive had an article about this last year, and according to them, it IS possible. They are SUPPOSED to be destroyed, but several make it through the cracks somehow.

4. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

$6000 may be a good deal, but how much are replacement parts going to cost /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

And being ex military, it WILL need replacement parts.

I have heard many stories about tortured HumVees from ex military buddies

5. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I have been in the military for 12 years, some do get by where people can buy them whole. They do sell some of them whole to surplus dealers. The main problem you will have is they are NOT legal to drive on the street. Military HUMVEE's do not meet the DOT safty requirements for civilan vehicles.
    So if it is in one piece you will not be able to drive it on the road. The guy who is selling it should have told you that if he knew.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's possible. There was a couple of links in that article that I checked out. Interesting, but.....................

Take it from someone who spent 3 years off roading in them on your dime, unless you are prepared for a lot of work, don't buy it. Another consideration is where was it. I was in Hawaii. The ones we had during my time 90-93 were built in '86. Most of them were rust buckets of the upmost order. On some of them, you could hear the rust break apart while spinning the turret or slamming the door hard.

The most common problems we dealt with was torn rubber boots. Another was the mechanics wouldn't be able to get the glow plugs out, so they would knock them down into the cylinder so a few of them had some "knocking" going on. Last but not least was the back hatch handle issues. A lot of them would become difficult over time.

7. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

i got on a kick where I though a humvee would be a cool ranch truck, $6000 is a decent price since they're hard to find, but they ARE NOT DOT legal to drive on public roads, and as for MPG everything I found suggested around 10 mpg........

8. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

BUY IT!! theres a place in FL that sells them in almost non driveable condidtion for over 18K. They did sell them as parts where they were chopped up form wha ti hear. But knowing our curropt government im sure theres soem good one out there. Parts will not be cheap, but their built to last so it shouldnt matter any ways. Keep us posted if you get it

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Here's some differences, but since they are apparently not legal on the street anyways, moot points. (the 5mph collision test alone probably made the DOT say no)

Believe the differences in the "new" vs "old" versions are Mxxx vs MxxxA1. If not, it is something like that.

"Hard" differences in them are 6.2L vs 6.5L (very few of the 6.5's are turbo) TH400 (with no park!! Strike two for HMMWV vs. DOT) vs. 4L80E.

Some "soft" differences (not necessarily early vs late HMMWV) are three point seat belts, gauge cluster, steering column, seats, and most if not all have been reinforced between the two doors at the rocker, where they apparently all started to crack. Bodies are aluminum, believe me, seen a few with holes through them.

In all honesty, the HMMWV is great for its INTENDED purpose, but the military K5's and K30's kick the crap out of them for actual driveability, like around town and on the freeway. The HMMWV's are noisier than hell, not efficient on cooling, not efficient on mileage, wider than a "standard" pickup, the "no-park" tranny issue is dumb, and if not a hard top version, the canvas leaks )ok its plastic, not canvas) and you sit in water if it rains. Of course there is more, but I don't need to go any further.

This is why I can't believe people will pay a lot of money to try and look cool driving one around town. Sure, they aren't the same as the military ones, but they are based on them. It's like putting a Ferrari sticker on a Yugo. It doesn't make the thing worth $300,000. Don't get me started on the H2... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, I'm sure you can probably find the military manuals online.

10. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

well fine just discurage the hell out of me!! thanks for the warning everybody. if its in good shape and not totally destroyed i might get it anyways and try to make a profit off it. i thought this was like, a really good oppertunity, but clearly i was mistaken. if its not street legal its not really worth anything to me. bummer. i was exited too /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

A few thousand military Humvees have been sold through some strange channels (not direct from the US military). A lot of them are titled, which makes them legal to drive unless you have some kind of inspection where they would try to disqualify it. If it comes with a title and doesn't need several thousand in parts to repair, buy it.

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I would go ahead and buy it but not for the purposes that you stated above. Of the few Humvees I've seen for sale, most of them were in the 15-20k range and they needed a LOT of work! So if you could get one for 6k you can easily make a big profit off of it.

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Everything looked okay until you said "daily driver/tow rig". Chances are it is a 6.2L equipped vehicle and therefore it will be pretty underpowered just by itself due to the weight so it would be really doggy pulling a heavy trailer. For daily driving they get relatively poor mileage, are very loud, are not comfortable, and have very little useable interior space.

14. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

To clarify some made here...
    Some HUMVEE's were legally released from government stocks, traded to a contracter and actioned off. The Marines did this one time in the 1990's. These vehicle had all the necessary paper work to make them legal so you could title them and drive them on the street.

If the vehicle was purchased through GL/DRMO it is supposed to have a section of the frame cut out of it so you dont drive it on the streets. This may or may not be because of DOT certification. (Hummer rims are DOT certified, Old cars can't pass DOT safety reg's either ?) Frames can be obtained that have no cuts, and sections can be welded back in. i would balk at the later.

Cons. I would have to agree with most of the others; Noisey, hot, maintence intensive, wide, pretty gutless, leaky. But if the guy has the right release paper work, and/or its titled already its a hell of a deal. If he doesnt and its a welded frame i would say thats about right for a parts hummer.

Pros.A full convertable hummer would be a cool cruiser, they are capable offroad vehicles, not that hard to work on, can be modified just like a any vehicle. Good Luck what ever you do.
    Cheers, rugger

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    (Hummer rims are DOT certified, Old cars can't pass DOT safety reg's either ?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the difference is, at the time an old car was made, it met whatever standards the government had at time of manufacture, whether none, or strict.

Since the HMMWV's were designed (probably) in the 70's, and produced starting in the 80's, I believe they would have to meet all the same standards as other vehicles being produced at that time, at least for "light" trucks. Since they didn't even have 3 point seatbelts, there is no way they were ever DOT legal as light trucks, and the military could care less. The HMMWV was designed from the ground up as a tactical vehicle, the Chev trucks were converted to military use from Civilian applications, which is why they were/are so much better to drive on the street.

16. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

military hummvees are pretty good to wheel and nothing more.ball joints tie rod ends go out a lot.at least the boots do.there is way too much maintanance to keep up with on them.plus we dogged the hell out of them.i took mine off of jumps we found out in the field.that was pretty kewl but i had to replace 2 ball joints when i got back to camp.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i only drove hummers for about 6 months when i was in GTMO, and i liked them. Could they use more power? sure. Are they heavy? sure. Are the wide? sure. Im still waiting to hear a good reason not to get one. Hate to say it, but K5s are heavy, underpowered, have weeny axles etc etc etc etc in stock form... so what do we do? mod the hell out of em so they do what we want. No reason why you cant do the same with a hummer. I really liked driving them in stock form...

j

18. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

I am sorry, but this is bothering me. They aren't "hum-vees". The civilian version is Hummer. And the military version is HMMWV... I forgot what it stands for. But it's pronounced like "hum-vee", just not spelled that way.
    Sorry, had to get that out.

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle.

And why does the whole name thing bother ya? Got issues? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I too was considering buing one for off-road use, but I would have bought a M1097A2 which is what I drive now. It has park and OD, unfortunitly there not selling them so I am just going to build up a blazer. But 6000 for a steet legal one in cali might be worth it. If you get it you will need to replace all the ball joints,filters,fluids and other tune up parts. They are very noisy and wide and allways leak something