Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HUMAN CLONING ABOUT TO BE LEGAL IN NJ, PLEASE HELP STOP THIS!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by skratch, Dec 19, 2003.

1. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I picked up this link this morning, and it appaled me. NJ is about to pass legislation allowing human cloning as long as the baby is killed prior to birth!

They will let women carry the children through part of the pregnancy but force them to abort the children, and then pay them for their services! And then sell the body parts too!

Please help stop this.

Cloning in NJ

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Man, that is so wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Hmmm ... you think that might be a little slanted? I start hearing phrases like "As long as you kill that human being" and I start to wonder what is being left out. I'd like to see the actual details (not some political lobby's pick-and-choose what I report) before I got too upset about it.

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I would too, but they are trying to slip this in under the radar, so I'd say stop it, find out exactly whats going on, then deal with it appropriatly.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sounds like abortion...but with a cloned person. Abortion is legal, so it would make sense to have abortion of clones legal as well. not sure what peeps are freaking out about.

personally, i dont think abortion should be legal... but Im not on the supreme court, so what I think is irrelevant.

j

6. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Why would anyone want to carry a clone babie in their body and then kill it. Thats fu(ked up. I guess the only good thing about it would be getting some of those steem cells for research. Either way its still messed up

nick

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think it's wrong, but I also see the good in human cloning, so I'm torn on this issue. This sounds more like stem cell research then cloning, but they probley go hand and hand. I don't know much about this.

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

There are other ways to get stem cells than in this manner. My wife worked in a cystic fibrosis lab for over a year doing research on stem cells. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i never have a problem with anyone doing anything on there own free will. if the women ant to , its fin with me. and if its going to find cures to diseases or help the human race in any other way, im all for it.

10. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

sounds like a propoganda hype...

shenanigans...

-Rich

11. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

aren't abortions supposed to be before the first cyle ends or somethin like that??? what i'v always thought they weren't nearly develpoed enough to have alot of body parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif hmmmmmm.

i'm against abortion all together but like jek said i really can't do much bout it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

MHO

Just like a race, life has a beginning and an end. When the flag drops, the race has begun. When the flag drops again, it's over. When that one little spermie penetrates that egg, life has begun and no one has a right to take it. I think murder would be worse than cloning and that is what abortion is in my opinion. But even worse, selling human body parts? You mean we will have farms that we can buy our new body parts from? Sorry but I don't think I will be ordering thier catalog... I could use a new liver and a set of lungs, maybe even a whole new body but not if a life has to be taken. If that's the case we might as well just start hacking up all the prisoners and save ourselves some money at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

i agree. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Heres the big debate.
    Research shows this would be the biggest biomedical breakthrough since germ theory and antibiotics. Maybe even bigger. The potential to cure or eliminate many of the crippling or deadly disease is at stake. The problem is in order to get the cloned base stem-cells for the research, they have to abort the embryo.

So you reproduce to harvest which kills human embryos in order to prevent future deaths and preserve human life.

The only way to reproduce an exact DNA copy, which is needed for research, is via cloning. Its a catch-22 problem but the many polls taking on this subject still show the major portion of the american people believe preservation of life in the future is worth the destruction of unborn life now.

In my case, I think we should be doing something to stop population growth if we want to survive for the next 100-200 years. Doubling time for the population was about every 35-40 years 50 years ago. Now its about 20-25, so in the next 20 years, the population will double to approx 13 billion people, 20 years later it will double again to around 26 billion, 20 more years and you got 52 billion. If population continues to grow, you exceed carrying capacity. Since were on the top of the food chain, that cant be a good outcome. As we grow and spread we consume more natural goods and clear more space to live in reducing natural resources.

So preserving life only adds to the exploding world population which will probably bring the end to our species. Unless some new Virus emerges and takes care of it for us /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Everything in nature has a check and balance to control population so it doesnt exceed the available resources for sustainment.....except the human species. We will probably figure out a way to cure these diseases but not figure out a way to sustain life.

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Preach on there Brother Larry /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So you reproduce to harvest which kills human embryos in order to prevent future deaths and preserve human life.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wanna make an omlette you gotta break some eggs.

Its also like, should abortion be legal if the baby was predicted to die anyway? Or due to complications the mother would die, or both? What about certain genetic diseases or downsyndrome ? What if a woman was raped?

[ QUOTE ]
    every 35-40 years 50 years ago. Now its about 20-25, so in the next 20 years, the population will double to approx 13 billion people, 20 years later it will double again to around 26 billion, 20 more years and you got 52 billion

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necesarily. Theoretically, that may be the case, but human geographers estimate pop of the earth to plateau at ~12bill
    You have to think of resources, and as you have an increasing number of people and opinions and growing technology, wars tend to break out.
    Just my $.02

17. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    In my case, I think we should be doing something to stop population growth

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna volunteer? Save the world! Commit Suicide!

[ QUOTE ]
    The problem is in order to get the cloned base stem-cells for the research, they have to abort the embryo.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if your mom had aggreed to this? You wouldn't be here to argue about it...

[ QUOTE ]
    So preserving life only adds to the exploding world population which will probably bring the end to our species

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry about it. No matter how much progress we make in conserving life, there will always be more and more idiots out there figuring out new stupid ways to kill themselves. Hense the Darwin Awards.

18. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    Wanna volunteer? Save the world! Commit Suicide!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Naah....im going to have 15 kids instead and have all of them produce offspring by the time they're 12. Maybe one of them can find a cure for the world.

[ QUOTE ]
    What if your mom had aggreed to this? You wouldn't be here to argue about it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats very true. But in 1961 we were getting fairly close to wiping out most of the world with nukes. Population was only 3 billion. I think she agreed to something which is probably why im so fu$&ed up now. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't worry about it. No matter how much progress we make in conserving life, there will always be more and more idiots out there figuring out new stupid ways to kill themselves. Hense the Darwin Awards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cant argue with that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Actually, I should revise my statements. Latest research does show a slowdown in population growth based on lower fertility rates in women and acceptance of birth control but it is still increasing. Mostly in Africa and S/A countries.

I think they should continue to look for alternative methods to obtaining stem-cell's other than above stated methods.

19. landsmasher

But we were having so much fun... Ok, back to boobs posts... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, back to boobs posts

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif