Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Human shields on the way to Iraq

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

So here's the scoop, afterwards a short poll......

By Andrew Cawthorne

LONDON (Reuters) - A first wave of mainly Western volunteers will leave London this weekend on a convoy bound for Iraq to act as "human shields" at key sites and populous areas in case of a U.S.-led war on Baghdad.

"The potential for white Western body parts flying around with the Iraqi ones should make them think again about this imperialist oil war," organizer Ken Nichols, a former U.S. marine in the 1991 Gulf War (news - web sites), told Reuters.

His "We the People" organization will be sending off a first group of 50 human shields from the London mayor's City Hall building Saturday, part of a series of departures organizers say will involve hundreds, possibly thousands, of volunteers.

Nichols' planned human shield convoys are one of several such efforts around the world to mobilize activists in Iraq as a deterrent against military strikes on Baghdad.

In Bucharest, more than 100 Romanian diehard communists said Tuesday they would travel by bus to Iraq to act as human shields in case of a U.S. attack.

Members of the tiny Romanian Workers Party, which took the mantle of ousted dictator Nicolae Ceausescu's defunct Communist party in 1995, said they would set off next month to support "the cause of the people."

The new human shield plans revive memories of the 1991 Gulf War when President Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) forcibly held thousands of Western hostages after his invasion of Kuwait.

Many were put near sensitive sites in a bid to stop attacks that proved futile, although there are not thought to have been any casualties among the Western hostages.

Baghdad also used Iraqis, alongside some foreign volunteers, as shields in 1998 against U.S.-British bombing.

Nichols' groups intend to drive through Europe and the Middle East en route to Iraq. The first will travel in a pair of double-decker buses, led by a car with a white peace flag on it.

"We are on the verge of something big," said volunteer Christiaan Briggs, 26, from New Zealand. He argued that the stream of human shield volunteers was symptomatic of radicalizing anti-war opinion around the world.

"People know this is wrong. It is just so blatantly transparent how the U.S. is trying to impose its hegemony."

PROPAGANDA ACCUSATIONS

"We the People" organizers said the self-financing human shield volunteers had come forward from a range of Western nations including the United States, Britain, Ireland, Switzerland, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain and Denmark.

There were also some volunteers from Muslim nation Turkey.

The major rallying point for Muslims, however, is in Iraq's neighbor Jordan. There, a campaign led by leftist parties and civic bodies is seeking 100,000 shield volunteers.

Baghdad has welcomed the plans, but volunteers smart at suggestions that they are handing a propaganda gift to Saddam.

Washington and London are sending troops to the Gulf and threatening military action against Saddam unless he admits to possessing weapons of mass destruction and disarms.

"It's laughable to say that we are working for Saddam when it was the UK and the U.S. who gave him his biological and other weapons in the first place," Nichols said.

"The hypocrisy is mind-blowing. The biggest threat to world security at this moment is (U.S. President) George W. Bush."

Nichols said his involvement in the human shield program was in part "penance" for his participation in the Gulf War when a U.S.-led force drove Saddam's troops out of Kuwait.

But those forcibly used as human shields by Saddam in the past are stunned others are volunteering to do it.

"Putting yourself in danger is not going to help at all," said John Nicol, a British air force flyer shot down in 1991 and later paraded on Iraqi television. He was moved around by the Iraqis to various potential targets and experienced allied bombing nearby.

"I doubt it would be a deterrent to any attack," Nicol, a journalist and military analyst since leaving the air force, told Reuters. "I am shocked that anyone would want to put themselves in such a situation."

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1043471552BRBoudreaux">

So what do y'all think?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />A noble cause
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />At least they believe in something
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />What a bunch of quacks
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />Arm them all so they can't cry about being defenseless when the bombs drop
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I say drop the bombs on them that way the world has less idiots. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

**** the morons !!!!! How stupid do you have to be to go into a probabile war zone to protect people who hate you becouse of you we're born in western countrys ???????? I bet more of them get killed by Osama wantabees then our bombs !!!!!!

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Looks like were gonna have some gene pool cleansing.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> They probably think that the Iraqis are going to think "Oh, wow, what a noble gesture, man... I guess white people aren't evil! Pass the bong, dude!"

The fact is, the Iraqis more than likely think that they are the biggest morons on the planet. I'm sure that they'll use it to their advantage.</font color>

6. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

and the darwin award goes to..........ken nichols, that is if he decides to go too /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

if they happen to get int he way of our bombs and bullets....MOW 'EM DOWN!!! Would you walk in the middle of two pitbulls fightin? I think not. If you did, you deserve what happens to ya. So, line 'em up. If they're standing on the side of our opponents, then we should label them "the enemy" and treat them as such.

I hope to hell no Americans are going, if so, we should revoke their citizenship. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just curious...wonderin' how many of y'all Volunteered and or Served in the Military...and part Two, how many of y'all have actually ever travelled to the middle east or even a Third World country (Mexican and Canadian border towns don't count)...

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

They shot college student war protestors at Kent State didn't they? I just wonder what you think Bush will do if these protestors are in the way of the bombs. Do ya think he will drop them anyways? I can not remember any war where something like this has happened. It will be interesting to see what happens. My instincts tell me that Bush will ORDER our people out. There will be a deadline. Those who remain will suffer the consequenses.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    wonderin' how many of y'all Volunteered and or Served in the Military.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I volunteered.

Landsmasher, he's a vet but I don't know if he volunteered.

11. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

And this, my friends, is called 'collateral damage' /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Stay home, jackasses.

12. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

They shot college student war protestors at Kent S
    tate didn't they?

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember Kent State...4 dead...Nixon was a sneaky bazterd with his own agenda
    I also remeber when I read that Nixon had said ..."we have no combat troops in Cambodia..."
    I was approximately 2 Miles inside the border at the time...been there for a couple of weeks...and had been in a couple firefights which were supported by American and ARVN artillery, Chopper and Fighter ordinance...our mission was BDA (Bomb Damage Assessment)...we went in after B52 (Arclight) strikes...

I can not remember any war where something like this has happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is because there had not been a time where information is so readily available in real time...There are a significant number of people and Governments who disagree with our Attitudes and Policies on a number of subjects..

I believe Bush has his own agenda and that he had his mind made up even before he took the Oath of Office...

I believe his policies favor the rich and will widen the gap between the Haves and the Have Nots...

Much of his staff and appointments served in the Ford administration, and some were either advisors or assissted advisors to Nixon...

As much as I didn't like Gore, I believe he May have turned out to be the lesser of the two evils...US economy will suffer even more under Bush...World economy will suffer from hostilities in the Middle East, and Arab nations will be the ones who ultimately benefit and gain power from it....

I believe we have a greater problem brewing in N Korea...

Even though Ford got a law passed making it illegal to assassinate Heads of State, I believe Saddam is an exception...I believe the coalition of Arab States have a better chance of ousting him and bringing stability to that region since it is their "neighborhood" and they understand the people better...

Seems to me it's real easy to Push from the back of a line (even if you aren't in it), and say send troops and bombs and level the country and **** 'em all...you listen to the people who Bitch about the hardship of SIX Months deployment, and I just shake my head...what a F'n Sacrifice...

Bush is a Trigger Happy Millionaire who hasn't got a fawkin' Clue how the common man lives....but that describes Most polititians, don't it....

13. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I believe Bush has his own agenda and that he had his mind made up even before he took the Oath of Office...

I believe his policies favor the rich and will widen the gap between the Haves and the Have Nots...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush is a Trigger Happy Millionaire who hasn't got a fawkin' Clue how the common man lives....but that describes Most polititians, don't it....

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I wish I could say I disagreed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Wait til Corey, BRB, et al read this. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Just curious...wonderin' how many of y'all Volunteered and or Served in the Military...

[/ QUOTE ]

I voluntarily served in the Army. I ETS'ed and joined the Reserves. I volunteered for Active Duty again for Desert Shield.

how many of y'all have actually ever travelled to the middle east or even a Third World country

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in United Arab Emerits for awhile and got to visit Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Jordan, Isreal, Egypt and a few others. I was lucky to meet and actually spend a great deal of time with many folks from those areas and, for those of you who have never been there, the people in that part of the world have many diverse cultures that don't even resemble what all of us see in our daily lives. I'm not saying that they are better or worst .... just different. Their values are based in ideas and religions that most of us are completely unfamiliar with. That's why I think it's silly when people try to judge their behaviors based on the values of our culture.

That being said, I believe that the folks heading over to be "Human Shields" have every right to perform this act of civil disobedience if they choose to do so. It's too bad that they will probably be killed when the bombs fall if they are in a targeted area. I don't think they should be targeted by us but if they choose to sit on top of a military target then they will most likely be killed as a result of their actions. Bye Bye !

It would be really cool if we could know some of the "behind the scenes" information that is going on. That would probably shed some light on the issue but if we, the USA, want Sadam to leave then we should take care of it the same way we deal with dirtbags in my neighborhood. We get a large group of neighbors to get together and knock on the scumbags door and give him a detailed description of what will happen to him if he continues to act like an idiot (speeding with kids in the street, selling drugs to kids, blasting music at 2:00am or whatever). Works every time!!!

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Wait til Corey, BRB, et al read this.

[/ QUOTE ]
    BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! Y'all think ya got me pegged when you don't. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

.Nixon was a sneaky bazterd with his own agenda
    I also remeber when I read that Nixon had said ..."we have no combat troops in Cambodia..

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hell ya he was.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I haven't decided on that one yet. I sort of go along the lines of thinking that he is just a pawn. As for the last statement, is that in regards to taxes, cause I readily disagree with that.

Much of his staff and appointments served in the Ford administration, and some were either advisors or assissted advisors to Nixon...

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is what I hate the most about this administration. We have old, recycled retreads from when I was just a youngun running the show. Heck, by the time we get some fresh blood in DC, I'm gonna be retired throwing lines out in the stream somewhere in the Rockies.

As much as I didn't like Gore, I believe he May have turned out to be the lesser of the two evils...US economy will suffer even more under Bush...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Gore's nothing more than a canda** liberal freakazoid who thinks he is someone. Maybe you should, if you haven't already, delve into some of the Gore family history and look who some of the key players have been. Not to mention, anyone who's from the South that doesn't have an accent, I automatically distrust.

I believe we have a greater problem brewing in N Korea...

[/ QUOTE ]
    In the short term, no; but in the long term yes. We'll just calm them down, give them some stuff and they'll be happy for awhile.

Even though Ford got a law passed making it illegal to assassinate Heads of State

[/ QUOTE ]
    Executive Order. His EO can be nullified by another EO. There's a site somewhere on the net that has summaries of EO's, but the problem is that a lot of them are classified.

you listen to the people who Bitch about the hardship of SIX Months deployment, and I just shake my head...

[/ QUOTE ]
    I bitched the whole three years stationed in Hawaii, does that count?

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I bitched the whole three years stationed in Hawaii, does that count?

[/ QUOTE ]

Long as ya bitched long and loud...LOL...

Goes to show that yer duty station depends a lot on timing...I worked with a guy that spent his 3 yrs there also...musta been rough...

point I was trying to illuminate....
    Some people join the reserves thinkin' to get college benefits, or an easy retirement, or whatever reason (I can't imagine)...calling it "serving their country"...which it is...BUT...when the nut cuttin' come along, all of a sudden it's a HUGE hardship on their lifestyles...seems they are willing to serve, but they want it to be as convenient as possible...if ya take the Oath...Strap on the Dang Ruck and get with it....play the cards yer f'n dealt and quit whinin'....Six months beats all hell outta "the duration" of WWII....and the Year in VN....each generation seems to have it a little easier than the last.....the Bitchin' seems to remain the same...It's the Code of the West.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Some people join the reserves thinkin' to get college benefits, or an easy retirement, or whatever reason

[/ QUOTE ]
    Funny story here. I went through Basic during the fall of '90, yep, during Desert Shield. It was I don't know, first or second week of training, and the whole troop was in the Squadron classroom. The Senior Drill was up on stage doing his thing.....He asked us how many of us had signed up to serve their country. Out of the 120 or so recruits, every one except one raised their hands. Then he asked how many of us had signed up for the college money. One kid raised his hand, then the Drill Sargeant lit into him something fierce. The kid was actually a bleeding heart liberal and by the time the Drill Sgt. was done, you'd thought the kid would of wanted out, but he ended up graduated with us. I can't remember if he was a reserve, I think he was though.

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

in war you got 4 kinds of people
    1. people trying to right a wrong of a nation for another nation and live
    2. people who try to make life as hard as possible for nations other than thier own.
    3.people trying to right a wrong of a nation for another nation and die
    4. people who try to make life as hard as possible for nations other than thier own.

those people being human shilds shall be of the 4th type. i hope to be of the first if i get mobalized, but if i have to be of the third then so be it. i see it as a good cause.
    Grant

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i say we use cia/nsa agents to abduct each one of these quaks... implant a homing device that can be picked up by satelitte, and then home in 2000 pounders on said signals on the 1st night of the war.

Bush says you're either "with us, or against us"... and I agree. I give these wackos credit for stepping forward to be counted among the enemy. that took guts. now... kill em.

j

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

oh yeah, missed the question about volunteering. Yep, I volunteered when i was 17. Joined the US Marines as an 0311 (infantry) on 9.19.93, got out on 9.19.97.

never went to any middle eastern country. I know what tyranny is though, and its my respect for the good people left in Iraq that leads me to believe that using military force to remove saddam is the best answer here. Will our bombs kill innocent people? yes, some... but saddam is already killing them. Atleast with our method the country will have a future. We absolutely LEVELED germany and japan in WWII... and look at them now. No dictators... no military regimes etc. their culture is intact, their economy strong, their future bright etc. It can be the same way in Iraq, saddam and the leftists of the world are the only things standing in the way.

j