Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer beadlocks, 12 bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok5, Apr 28, 2005.

1. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am trying to find the best place to buy these already recentered and I have heard to many bad things about usa 6x6. My other question is that are they that much better then the 8 bolt ones. I want the Hummer rims because they are are d.o.t. and my blazer is a daily driver or is there any other options plus I have a source for the cheap hummer tires.

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

USA 6x6. I have seen a few bad things about them, but more good than bad lately. Sapper ordered a set of centers and had them when they promised.

Everyone has made mistakes and they have recovered from theirs.

As far as being DOT approved, once re centered they are not technicaly DOT approved because they have been modified.

FYI The 12 bolt style was designed for radial tires and the 8 bolts were designed for BIAS.

3. mil22spec4

mil22spec4 Registered Member

I have a set of military beadlocks and they are more trouble than its worth. First is the gaket seal o-ring for them which costs extra money and next is leaking around the bead. I also had trouble finding a good deal on tires to fit.I luckily got them for free and will never use them. But that is just my opinion.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

www.Stazworks.com sells the plates to recenter hummer wheels and may be able to send you a recentered set... If you're worried about the DOT stamping... I am sure once they are recentered they are technically not DOT legal....

Over on the PBB, do a search for Goudy wheels. They are a DOT approved beadlock....

Or other options are regular beadlock wheels. Lots of people run them on the streets without problems...

Then there is the Staun type locks that are an insert onto your normal rims.. They are kind of like a HD tube that press against your beads from the inside(similar to hummer locks) and lock both sides. They are supposedly DOT legal...

And last... You can run the screws in your wheels like they are selling over at www.inchwormgear.com ..... Haven't heard about any problems with these yet....

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

The benefits of the dual beadlocks far outweighs the negatives... and the O rings are like 2 bucks each... and I don't know why you would have a hard time w/ beads leaking or finding tires for them ... they are just standard 16.5" wheels...??? :dunno:

6. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is there really any big advantage of the hummer rims over another brand or a single sided beadlock and is it worth the trouble of all the extra parts when mounting them?

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Not really that much of an advantage over an aftermarket beadlock (if you pony up and get an aftermarked dual beadlock)... and if you can find aftermarket dual beadlocks for the $$ that I am into my Hummer rims, good work... cause I am in mine less than 50 bucks for the 4 of them.