Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer H2 rims or Steels? either will get locks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jan 25, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What do you guys think? I can get a set of 4 17x8 Steel rims from Summit for around $250. They would be 4.5" backspacing. The Hummer H2s are light and aluminum 17x10 with 5 5/8" backspacing. Little deep for my liking but eh it will work. Problem is that they are already 17x10s adding locks would be too wide so I'd have to turn them down. Then they need aluminum rings and to be TIG welded. Now in the not too distant future I will have access to a TIG so it won't be an issue. I can get H2s for $200. Decisions, decisions. Looks don't matter to me mind you.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure the H2 rims are only 8" wide............

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

8.5" you are right. Hmm that makes it harder. $220 shipped for the steel rims. $200 and pay more for locks, $220 and pay less for locks as well as easier to install.

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

What good is a busted aluminum rim? If you dont care for looks I see no reason to use aluminum on the trail. I guess they are a little lighter but..........

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

but how much does it take to bend a stamped steel wheel? Only reason I could see busting a wheel is shock loads from jumping or just getting front end airborne. And trophy trucks run aluminum rims.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm using the H2's. Mostly because I got 4 for $400 with new BFG's mounted/balanced and 4 spares for $100. I could really care less if one gets bent at $25 a piece. They look good IMO, are light and cheap on eBay if you watch for them. I'm not planning on beadlocks, so that was not a consideration. With all of the talk of H2 beadlocks here and on pirate, I keep thinking that someone will figure out how to make them for a reasonable price.

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Go with steelies much better for strength :grin:

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

The bead areas, esp the outer is the most vulnerable to breaking on an aluminum rim, I guess since you are planning on welding a ring anyway it should be fine if its a good, thick ring. Im also talking about rocks, if you are trail riding or in the mud is not an issue :thumb: