Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer H2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hardcore_rob, Apr 7, 2003.

1. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

I was in Phoenix this past week and never seen so many people driving those god awful pieces of ****. The thing that REALLY through me off was a huge selling point to me with the older hummers. the diff is a normal diff now. what happened to the V shape axle that the older hummers had? that small change cost a huge amount of ground clearance.... now they are not olny sissy looking, but they might as well just be 2 wheel drive, for all the functionality they offer... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thats why i drive my old chevy /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

They changed it so it's a suburban chassis with a new body. It's all stock 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton IFS/10/14 bolt now. The old hummers used a 4 wheel independent system.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I believe the new H2's are a Tahoe frame w/ a 14bolt and standard GM 3/4 ton front suspension. They are also equiped w/ the standard 6.0 V8.
    As far as I am concerned the new H2's are for people w/ too much $$ in thier bank account that want to have something "cool" to talk about at the country club...and if it is not diesel, then it is not a Hummer.

4. willyswanter

Yeah, but they make a 1/2 ton version, I was at the alignment shop and one was there with a 10 bolt rear end and 6 lugs...

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Haven't heard of/seen a 1/2 ton. Swapped in?
    With:
    "Weights & Capacities
    GVWR Standard: 8600lbs."
    a 10B would be an odd choice.

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have never heard of/ seen one w/ a 10bolt either. I wonder if it was really a H2 or a Bummer?

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

nutting wrong with the H2. I wouldnt buy one, but all the 4x4 mag tests I have read (i mean real tests, where they took the h2 on trails at rubicon and/or moab) said that the h2 was pretty damn capable for a factory rig.

I dont see why some "hardcore" wheelers have a problem with it. It'd be pretty idiotic of me to sit here and give GM grief for the parts they used in the H2... especially considering I dont have a single factory drivetrain part in my 85 jimmy. If the H2 "sucks" because of its factory drivetrain... well... the K5 sucks too. My k5 had a 305 (dog of an engine), an old version 700r4 (every1 knows these have problems), slip-yoke 208 (crap), and 10-bolts front and rear (also crap, especially the 10b rear... axle shaft snaps and your wheel flys off? wth?). I guess my point is, its pretty lame to diss the h2 for its factory drivetrain when plenty of rigs that we all know/love have issues of their own...

j

8. willyswanter

Der, there is no bummer h2 kit... Bummer isn't even around anymore... Trust me it was an H2, still had dealer plates and was brand new. It was sent out from the dealer to have a lift installed and was being aligned.

9. DrMaserati

DrMaserati Registered Member

If you really want all that trick stuff and outrageous ground clearance you get on a Hummer, then go out and buy yourself a REAL Hummer. Base price starts at ONLY about $118,000. That's with no options and no delivery charge.

The H2 uses standard components to make it affordable. And you probably won't find another rig on the market with angles of approach and departure even close to an H2. It won't do things or go places a real Hummer would, but it's less than half the price. You get what you pay for.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good point on the approach/depart angles... h2s are purdy good indeed... especially compared to something like the Avalanche. lol! the departure angle on an Ava is worse than an old Impala. sad, very sad.

j

11. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I like the h2. Is a big, box like 4 wheeldrive that stands out.....kinda like our k5's! Have you seen the new Infinity
    SUV? That is something to rip apart.

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree. People complain about GM does't offer bigger tires, lockers, stronger axles, skidplates, blah, blah, blah on their trucks.....and then they do and the same people are complaining. Granted, the market is definitely for the upper-class and the vast majority will never see more than a grass parking lot, but it does have some nice equipment. So people say it's just Tahoe with a different body.....well, if you put 3/4 ton axles, a locker, lift kit, and 35" tires on a Tahoe then maybe you are right.

Quite frankly, the H2 could probably outperform many of the K5's on this site, both in off-road and on-road performance.