Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer H3 (1st post updated)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by txfiremank5, May 29, 2006.

1. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Heres a little shot of me messing around in it last Sunday. So far I've been impressed with the little H3's "out of the box" performance. The 4:1 t-case is great.. along with the rear locker. But, it aint exactly the flexiest little thing around.. LOL.

[​IMG]

Well, we got one. We couldn't resist the lowered price and zero percent finance. We picked it up the other night, and left for a pre-arranged trip to the coast the next morning. I have to say, after driving it to the coast and back, ... I really like it. It's pretty fun to drive. It's not as underpowered as I thought it would be, or heard it to be. It's no strip burner, but I had no problems getting up to speed w/ me and the wife and kiddos & luggage on board. It doesn't offer as much space as the Tahoe, as expected, but I think the fun factor is much better than the hoe. I guess overall it's a just a little sportier, but still accomplishes the same goal. The locker, 33's, 4.56 gears, 4:1 t case are just a plus. The nav radio is pretty cool.. along with the XM. I liked cruising the beach with the monsson sound system kicked up, and the sunroof thrown open. :cool: Hmm.. I wonder if I could talk my wife into my 97 K1500? :thinking: LOL.. not a chance. Heres some pics. A few when we first got it home, and one from the beach.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My wife wants one...

I have not really looked into Hummers before. I guess I'm a little close mined about some things. So I check 'em out. I think the H3 isn't too bad after all. 4:1 t case, locking rear diff. & 285-75-16's w/ respectable approach and departure angles.

My wifes currnet ride is a 01 Chevy Tahoe LT 4wd. Pretty much all the options minus a sunroof. Leather, front & rear air, front & rear tunes for the kiddos.. pretty much the works for that year. I can't even count the times I've had to avoid certain trails at the lake or some other location we were at because I'm afraid I'm going to rip a running board (for the kiddos) off .. or drag the low hung body over something. I'd have to say it's about like trying to wheel a 1975 Caddy Eldarado... LOL. Now, we don't use it for wheelin' per say.. but there are times when it could be used, but then it's a toss up as to know if it is cut out for the task at hand, at the time. It's still very clean.. nearly factory fresh, with only 50,000 miles on the OD.

I think she wants something that's still practical for her needs of hauling the kiddos around, along with grocieries etc.. but that is somewhat sportier too. Something that can handle a few little trails that we might encounter at the lake etc. Soooo.... it looks like we'll be looking seriously at getting one. I do think the Tahoe is a bit mundain ... sort of "a dime a dozen"... but it's nearly paid off. My only real complaint is that she reports it's been getting 12 mpg for a very long time. I knew she kept telling me that it wasn't getting good mph, but she only reciently told me a number. I mentioned that we need to have the fuel trim levels checked to make sure it's in the normal range.. but it quickly becomes obvious she's ready for a change. :doah:

I'm a little conflicted as to what I want to do. I like what I've seen of the H3 so far. She test drove one while I was working yesterday, and gave me her evaluation. She thinks the power (220hp) is "ok" but could be a bit peppier... yeah, that's my girl. I myself have only looked at them when the dealership was closed. But, I wouldn't be opposed to one. But, the Tahoe is nice.. w/ low miles, and will be paid for soon. On the other hand, it sucks for a 4wd. We may as well have gotten a 2wd for what we are able to do in it.

I did mention that we could do a small suspension lift etc.. but I honestly think she's ready for a different look. I'm ok with that. She never flinches at my project costs, and allows me total freedom as long as we can afford it. I want to make her happy of course.. so.. I see the likelyhood of a Hummer in my future. :rolleyes:

Anyway.. I'm just thinking out loud mostly.. still a bit perplexed as to whats best for us.

Anyone here have one, or know someone who does? I'm curious as to how they like thiers etc.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I know it's sacrilege here but the Jeep Commander is a fine looking automobile that may fulfill your needs.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I like the H3. Looks good and should handle tail running without problem. THe same can be sad for the Commander, but I personally don't like the way it looks.

Any way to convince her that an Rubicon Unlimited was the one and I would be all ovr that, but it is not the best for entertaining children.

I also like the Toyota FJ Cruiser, but its a 2dr so that may be out.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The h3 won't get much better than 12mpg either, just an FYI. The 5cyl motor is a good torquer, but is notoriously bad on gas. Couple guys I know with trailblazers (which is basically what an H3 is save for a few upgraded driveline components) say getting 15 would be a stretch. One guy with an H3, says he can get 15 on the highway, but averages about 12. Loves it otherwise, great off-road.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I haven't looked into the H3's, but if they're anything like the H2's, they are way over priced for what you get. IMHO the H2 is more of a status symbol then anything else. Honestly, I'd keep what you got and install a small lift on it.

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I drove one when I was home..... I wasn't impressed. I found the visibility to be terrible with the high beltline, seeing out the back with the rear mounted spare was almost impossible and created a horrible blind spot and going through a drive-thru required dislocating my shoulder to make it bend in such a way to fit through the small side window. Getting on and off the freeways in and around Houston required careful timing and a prayer as the power was miserable and almost always required a full throttle assault. There is no way you could get me to trade out of a tahoe for an H3.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I say make her happy but get the dealership to let you take it on like a 24 hour test drive. Never driven one but what I see is exactly what Resurrected_Jimmy described, small windows and bad visibility with blind spots everywhere.

And yes your Tahoe should be doing better on gas. Probably has the same problem my 97 has, leaky injector or leaky main injector(mine gets about 11mpg and got 17 when I first had it).

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'd rather have the new toyota FJ Cruiser. Definitely cooler looking and they get 16mpg city, 19mpg highway.... and it costs about $5k less. Its plenty capable for pretty much anything but hardcore rockcrawling... and other than a 4:1 tcase it looks equal to anything Hummer has going for it. If you really need all that ratio, spend the $5k difference on an Atlas/adapters and call it good.

[​IMG]

j

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Really not a bad idea either - if its paid for you can't save enough on better gas mileaege to pay for the note on a new one. Get a tune up and a 4" lift, a set of 33's and call it good.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah... but his wife wants a new rig. In my experience, once a woman has lost "confidence" or interest in a rig... it doesn't matter how well you fix it or upgrade it... she has emotionally moved on. Get the FJ.

j

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

and he has already said shes cool with all his stuff. Personally if the woman isn't raising hell all the time, you do what you can to keep her happy even if it means something illogical.

That and the Vortec needs more than a tuneup. Vortecs aren't scheduled for Tuneups until 100,000 (not saying they don't need it before then). Its more than likely a fuel system issue, either a pintle injector, main injector, or fuel pressure regulator. THe cheapest component of which is the Regulator at like $70 and if you pay to have it done, its probably a 1.5 or 2 hour process. So at a conservative labor rate your looking at a few hundred out the door.

The FJs are cool, except the taillights. I can spot those taillights from a mile away sticking off the side of the rig. If anyone really wheels one of those things, they better be prepared to buy a few spare sets...

12. txfiremank5

We compared the commander, but I think it was more pricey, for less ablility, and I think the mpg wasn't rated much better. Plus my wife doesn't really like the look of them. Jeep unlimited won't work for us.

IMHO H2's are junk. I think the H3 would be far better off road than the H2 every thought of being. I didn't know until looking, but the H3 can actually be had w/ 4.56 gears, and end up with a crawl ratio of 69:1. Way more than we would ever need ... but I thought it was pretty cool that they made it an option. The H3 is actually almost always cheaper than most of the SUV's in it's class. It's base starts somewhere around 29,000. I think the one I priced with the off road package and some other niceties came out around 32 or 33,000.

I told her to pay attention the beltline of the windows and see if it was a problem. Her opinion was that it was different than the tahoe of course... but she said ahe didn't have any proablems with it. But, she's tall for a girl, at around 5'9" or so, so that may help. She did say the A piller was a little more of a pain, but could live with it. My kiddos reported that they couldn't see doddly-squat out the windows, except for the the sky and building tops.

I also think that the H3 will likely fall to the short side of the mpg. I did check out an H3 forum the other nght. They had a poll about mpg, and there were mixed results. Many were getting pretty descent mpg, but there were a few who were seeing the 11 range. I'm sure driving style is also a factor, as usual. I did mention that I'd rather wait and see if they come out with some better engine options..

I agree there is something wrong on the tahoe. It should be getting better mpg. Everyone I know who has one gets better mpg than that, by a bit. High teens usually, or at least 15 up.

Thanks for the input so far, guys. I'm very leary of getting into another x amount of years of payments, just to have closely the same MPG. So, that is a big concern for us.

13. txfiremank5

That's along the vibe I'm getting. Usually my wife is very practicle. She researches everything to the point of crazy, before getting something. Almost always, just wanting it, is never a factor. However, she seems to have slipped to the dark side on this one. My take on her thoughts this time are:

She knows she needs it to be practicle for her needs, but i think she wants a vehicle that does not look like the usual soccer mom suv. I have to remember for the first 8 years we were married she drove our lifted K5 for a DD. Actually, it was hers first, since I already had a lifted 77 K10. When she bought her first vehicle she got the K5 so we wouldn't have two trucks. I talked her into it, but what she wanted was a toyota 4wd p/u. Before we were married she drove her dads farm trucks, a 1975 F-250 4wd hi-boy.

I guess when you marry a farm girl, who likes wheeling.. you have to expect that she's going to want her ride to look like something that says "off road" at the casual glance. :rolleyes:

I shall see where we end up..

14. txfiremank5

If I was a betting man, ... my money would be on a partially clogged FPR screen. Probably sending the fuel trim % up into the teens, vs. the 5% range. But, I'm just guessing. The Tahoe has not thrown a code. (but I'm told that it won't throw a fuel trim code until up around 20%)

My wifes uncle has a shop, and can check the fuel trim numbers for me. So, I plan to get it over there when he has a chance and see what it looks like.

At this point though, I'm not sure saving the mpg, will change her mindset. :doah:

15. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

With that Kind of Mileage you could have a Suburban or a 4-door 3/4 ton truck.....Like a Dodge Power Wagon My little sister has one and gets 14-16 mpg highway and it's more capable offroad and can actually tow and it has an "OFF ROAD" look to it . My wife want's a Power Wagon this is what we spec'd out http://http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/dispatch.do she has a 2005 toyota highlander Limited now and she hates it (so do I )

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  16. txfiremank5

Yeah, probably so. But they, with the exception of the sub are still not practicle for her needs. the Sub would still be the same animal, just longer. We already have the 3rd row seats. We don't need two trucks, I already have my 97 Z71 w/ 4" & 33's. Any towing I do is light duty stuff. She doesn't need to tow anything but some kiddos & some shopping loot.

She did like the new Tahoes when we looked that them. But still contends that they are not trail friendly, due to the fact that they are too low slung.

She thinks the front wheel drive geo metro we once had was more capable.. and I'm pretty much in agreement. At our old place our "driveway" had deep mud ruts between our house and gate.. (it was a low spot that would hold water forever, and often had more mud than base) and she could get that metro through ... sometimes it looked like it was skidding along on the underbelly. :haha:

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah the new Tahoes are WAY to low slung. I like th way they look, and you could gain a TON of approach angle just by losing the stock 5ft tall bumper. But they still sit low. I can't wait to start seeing them slammed.

18. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah I guess if you don't need another ''truck'' what about a Durango??? they look pretty tough. we need another truck we already have an Suburban for long trips and the TOYota is a joke our driveway is pretty nasty as well and the Highlander drags bottom alot and frankly the power and mpg sucks the best she's gotten is 18 mpg my 454 burb' gets 14 normaly with the best tank so far being 16.5 so were gonna get a Power Wagon most likely that way she won't be using my truck for pulling the horse trailer and going to get feed

19. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I whole heartedly agree with this statement. I was just giving my .02 on what I thought of the H3 after spending a weekend in one. I like the way they look and the spec sheet is fairly impressive. I did not get to drive the H3 off road but it looks like it will do anything a stock 4wd should be able to do. It is probably down right impressive off road. If the lady wants one then that's what she should get.

I have no idea of price on any of these compared to the H3, but other things I would consider would be: 4Runner, Grand Cherokee, or possibly an expedition:doah:

20. txfiremank5

The grand costs as much as a new tahoe, and the 4runner, is high too, with the same mpg range.

I think, in the end, it will depend on what she wants. She has checked into most of the suv's in that size range etc. She has a better handle on comparative figures, since she did the checking on her time.

I just wish the H3 had a better engine option w/ a somewhat better projected mpg. Then it wouldn't be too much of an issue. Even mid - hi teens would be welcome. My wife works for a local hospital from home, so she does not have to commute. Seeing that more H3 owners were getting in the mid to uppers, vs the ones who were not is somewhat comforting though.

I'm to that "man-stage" were I would rather just get it, for the peace & quiet.

I did tell her whatever she gets, will be her ride for a good long while. So choose wisely grasshopper..