Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer H3 4to1 tcase?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2puller, Dec 16, 2005.

1. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any details?
    Is it the NV241OR that jeep uses in the Rubicon or......?

Should be a good swap option for a lighter duty chain drive tcase with extra low gearing. Drivers drop though.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

not sure on the case, but being the only mid sizes suv that I know of available with a 5 speed manual.... could be very promising swap with a high pinion for 44 or 60...
    grant

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

where would you even get one short of stealing a H3? They are way to new and way to uncommon for a swap to make any economical sense whatsoever. An Atlas would probably be cheaper, stronger and drop on the correct side too...

j

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I just saw one ina junkyard last week. Rolled and smashed. Still had TC in it.

5. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Just had an H3 up on the lift this morning for the first time. I can assure you that it is a pass side drop t-case. What a trip, GM hasn't had a pass side drop since the 'V' series expired. I should have looked at the t-case modle #, but I didn't. Next time I have one in the air, I'll be sure to look.

6. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

that sounds interesting.

try to think about the future. it might not be an easy swap now, but in 15-20 yrs it might start to look pretty good. (nobody wheels 20 yr old trucks...:rolleyes: :crazy: )

a whole h3 for a 10th of the price might look pretty good in a while...

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think rubicons have a np231c.......not 100% sure though

8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

The op code is NR4 or NR6 .They are 2 speed and activated via a dash switch and a module. Most likely not a simple bolt in deal...

9. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

No a NP231C would be a Chevy version of the 231. A jeep would use the NP231J but those are the 2.72 to 1s that are in Sports and SEs not the Rubicon. Rubicons use the NV241OR that is 4.0 to 1

10. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

But if the switch and Module drive an electric motor like the S series pickups isn't it a simple swap back to a manual linkage?

And I was thinking of the future when I posted, not planning on looking for one right now. For the record though JB Conversions started stocking NV241ORs about 6 months after jeep started using them. Maybe they will do the same with the H3 case.

I didn't know that it was drivers drop, that is just plain weird for them to go back to the drivers side :crazy:

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

JB wants $1850 for a rocktrac... just for reference. Not a bad deal really, but I'd rather have a doubler.

j

12. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Anyone know anything about the H3s? I think they look like a funky body on a trailblazer frame. Kinda how the H2 is a funky body on a tahoe frame. I keep hoping someone I know will buy one so I can try it out in the dirt and see if it will do anything, ya know? Always more fun to test other peoples new stuff off road. Maybe I should try and be a magazine editor. They get to straight destroy some new metal, ya know?

13. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

My brother is looking at them now that is why I was looking at the specs and saw the 4 to 1 option. It really is a very good deal bang for buck. Better than anything jeep has to offer. Just have to get over the yuppie status that the H2 brought about. It is on the Trailblazzer platform but apparantly its passanger drop front axle so that must be something unique. It also fits 33s (optional) and has plenty of room to flex them.

14. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

h3's

are built on the colorado platform althe way down to the I-5 motor...i've seen people say its passenger and drivers drop in this very thread....but if you lookin for a low transfer check out the new 3 speed transfer here:

http://www.stak4x4.com/products.htm if i ever swap out my 205 this will probally take its place...with adaptors to fit just about anythind with a drivers or passenger side drop!